Clutch / Transmission noise - video - 1972 std beetle

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
ErikTande

Clutch / Transmission noise - video - 1972 std beetle

Post by ErikTande »

Is this normal? There is some noise when the clutch is out, but it isn't there when the clutch is in. Any idea what it is? Does it need to be addressed before I start driving the car?

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/NKjHtvJeXX8

Marc

Re: Clutch / Transmission noise - video - 1972 std beetle

Post by Marc »

Mainshaft bearing is toast. Most likely it's the ball bearing at the front end of the trans and not the needle bearing inside - that means it's something that can be addressed without a full teardown IF you can beg/borrow the specialized puller tool that grasps the bearing by its inner race and yanks it off the mainshaft. Good-quality original German (FAG or SKF) bearings are all but impossible to find anymore and the cheap (~$30) Chinese counterfeits have quality-control problems so you take some risk using them, but IMO it's worth a shot to pop one in and cross your fingers if everything else about the trans seems to be working OK - it might buy you 5 or 10 more years' use for a relatively small investment.
Or, just change the fluid and put in some snakeoil additive, turn up the radio and drive it while you save up some money for a replacement - if you don't do a lot of long trip driving, it could go for years :)
I'd wager that the mainshaft bearing races are both badly spalled in places so it'll take more than some magic elixer to make the noise stop (I wouldn't invest the price of synthetic lube for this one, but a can of something like Bardahl or Wynn's additive doesn't cost much) but some fresh clean lube may help a bit.

OBTW - `72 was the midyear change from the early to the late mainshaft bearing (different part, different collet for the puller tool). If you decide you want to pull the trans and replace the bearing you'll want to have the correct part & tool lined up beforehand....you can tell which it is while still in the car, the early style has a little bolt head protruding from the bottom of the gear carrier housing up near the shift housing end.