New pans, now filling with water

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
iagreen

New pans, now filling with water

Post by iagreen »

So my carpet used to get wet, thought it was from the super rusted out floor pans. But I looks to be something else. Just looking for pointers on where to look.

I just finished replacing the floor pans on my '65 bug with grafted in '63 ragtop. Drivers side was original, passengers side had been poorly replaced before and was actually worse than drivers side.

I rustoleumed top and bottom of the pans, seam sealed top and bottom and installed new pan gasket. Luckily I haven't installed the new carpet yet.

When in there I also learned that the heater channels are rusted. Some rusted out holes towards inside of vehicle. This is beyond my skill and current budget so I did not address them yet.

It started pouring rain this week. First I noticed parked a small amount of water under the back seat drivers side when the car was parked. Later in the week there was also water on the passenger side.

Now it seems the passenger side is much worse than the drivers side. It has had almost an inch of water standing in it. I can't tell if it gets worse when it's parked or when it's driven. As the rain comes and goes so does the water. Which means it's getting out somehow too.

Because the water is getting back out I have to assume my seam sealer has some leaks and needs another application.

Where are likely leak points and what's a good way to detect where it's coming from? Are there drains that could be plugged? The grafted in ragtop and rusted heater channels make me suspect a drain problem. Of course there's also pop-out rear windows and the rear glass that could use new seals (don't see any leaks near them). Or a drain in the rear louvered area under the rear window?

Where would you look? What would you use to detect the inlet? Thanks!
SCOTTRODS

Re: New pans, now filling with water

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Glass Seals would be my first look... even if recently replaced. If you don't get them seated correctly they leak pretty bad sometimes... Sitting Still or Driving. Headliner may make it hard to detect exact location if the rear glass seal is leaking (Or the wing glasses). The best way to detect leak locations, is on YOUR terms. Locate a water sprinkler on it when the sun is out, and get inside and watch for the first drops...Flashlight in hand. This would be even easier to figure out if you remove the interior as much as possible. This would include any and all door and side panels that are easily removed. If the Leakage were only while driving, I'd start in the front. But Leaking while standing I recommend the rear glass as the starting point.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
iagreen

Post by iagreen »

Thanks. Luckily most of the headliner is out. I don't mind stripping the interior to figure it out.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

you could also get a friend to spray it with a garden hose wile you are inside to look for leaks.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

I put a big rolled up bath towel along the bottom of each door on my '73 Beetle to soak up water when it rains.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Did you ever find the leak?
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
iagreen

Post by iagreen »

I've been playing with my racecar. At least the car has dried out so I'll be able to see where it's coming from.