Timing checklist

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Meathead

Timing checklist

Post by Meathead »

Can somebody tell me for a new engine what steps I need to do to make sure my timing is set for first firing? I read and did what the build book says but wanted to get professional opinions. I have a 1600 dual port with point distributor. Sorry for the newbie question
FJCamper

Re: Timing checklist

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Meathead,

Pop the cap off your distributor so you can see the rotor.

Rotate the fan pulley around until you see the Top Dead Center mark on the pulley. On a stock pulley this would be a notch -- on custom pulleys a TDC marking of some kind exactly opposite a BDC (bottom dead center).

Some stock pulleys have more than one notch. They are close enough together for starting purposes to pick either one.

Depending on how beat up your distributor is, there is a slight notch on its top edge, where, if you have rotated the crank pulley to TDC, the distributor rotor will be generally pointed toward. If the rotor is pointed just opposite, it's on TDC for #3 cylinder, and we set the timing using #1 so if this is the case turn the crankshaft one full turn.

Loosen your distributor clamp enough to rotate the distributor but not so much the distributor can rise up while first running, disengage, and stop working.

Get a test light and connect the alligator clip to the ignition coil negative, the same connector as to where the distributor's condenser wire goes.

Have a friend turn on the ignition-- do not engage the starter. Just a single turn of the key to make the dash lights come on.

Touch the test light's metal probe against a good ground. I use the distributor body. It should be well grounded.

Slowly rotate the distributor clockwise (retard) as you look down on it. When the points are closed, the test lamp will be off...go slightly more clockwise and then slowly start turning counterclockwise until the point where the test lamp just comes on - this means the points have opened and you have found your "static" timing. Put the distributor cap back on (don't forget the rotor if you had it off).

Rotating the distributor clockwise retards the timing, and firing off a new engine is easier if you retard it a bit by (maybe 1/4 inch) rotating clockwise.

Now, oil in engine, all fuel lines tight, and gas in carb float bowl, you control the throttle while your friend cranks the engine to start it. Give the accelerator lever a few pumps to get some gas into the intake.

If you're lucky, it'll fire off but not be in actual time (that takes a timing light). If you keep cranking and get no indication of firing, rotate your distributor either left or right a little more as your friend cranks. When you hit the right spot, the engine will fire.

Once it does fire, you'll probably have to keep it running by hand with the carb throttle lever, and after a minute or so, try very slight distributor rotation in whichever direction makes the engine run better.

Once warm, hook up your timing light and set the timing right for your specific engine.

Good luck,

FJC
Last edited by FJCamper on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
aussiebug

Post by aussiebug »

Don't we find it a bit frustrating when we take the time for a comprehensive answer, and get NO feedback.

A "thanks FJ - that worked" is always very welcome.
Regards
Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repairs and Maintenance for the home mechanic
www.vw-resource.com
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

As usual, great answer by FJC and an answer that can now be passed on and passed on. Or added to by somebody else, perhaps with discussion of popping a valve cover to see that the valves are in the right place relative to timing. Next thing you know, a bunch of other guys will actually begin to understand how an engine really works.

Not a bad thing - thank you or not.

doc
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Doc,

I tend to be fast and loose with advice. Marc is the guy with the real data and will keep us honest.

He spotted an clockwise/counterclockwise advance/retard error I'd made, proving he was sober when he read it. The error has been corrected.

But in my defense, if you go far enough West, it becomes East, right? And below the equator water spins opposite going down the drain.

Thanks,

FJC
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Very little slips past Marc. Always a key resource here.

I'm always thinking back to when I was just following John Muir's book step by step. Above explanation would have allowed me to start the engine. People will be using it years from now. Good news.

Just think of all the times you were stuck. It's always so frustrating. Help obtainable on internet forums has definitely made life easier.

I will always be appreciative of posted basic instruction, even when it's probably been posted before. You gotta start somewhere.

doc
Marc

Post by Marc »

FJCamper wrote:...try very slight distributor rotation in whichever direction makes the engine run better.
Once warm, hook up your timing light and set the timing right for your specific engine.
Be sure to complete that last step before you call it a day - if you simply set the distributor to the point where it seems to run the best, 99.9% of the time it'll be advanced too far...and don't forget to cinch down that clamp when you're finished :)