cam selection help.

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Dive!Dive!

Re: cam selection help.

Post by Dive!Dive! »

OK, I have to make some observations here. Advinnie : I think I already said some of this in another forum...
I have 25 years experience with the 4062-10 in two different 1776 motors. There is a quite a bit of misconception about this cam.....
In the first 1776 I had stock 1300 heads ported at home, and used 1:1.1 rockers, stock heater boxes , 1 3/8 merged, single quiet pack. Made 90-100 hp and ran very nicely with twin DRLA40's
The current 1776 had ported 044's 40*35.5 with 1:1.25 rockers, at 9.0:1 CR, with a 1.5 inch merged , large bore 1.5inch exchangers (there are some decent ones out there), the same DRLA's and it makes about 115-120hp. I run this with SINGLE springs and its absolutely fine. BUT, (yes there is a but) you need decent singles (the ones in that CB put in the 044s are not the best, I used Bugpack ones), Ti retainers and HD ally rods (not chromolly). Mine will rev cleanly to 7k with NO float at all (it would float at 6200 with other rods, steel retainers and original springs)
Steve
advinnie

Re: cam selection help.

Post by advinnie »

Sorry for the late reply mate. Got the head work done and am now loving the 1800cc engine. I'm running 1 3/8 heater boxes and 4 into 1 header with a hideaway exhaust system, pair of dellorto 36 carbs with 30 chokes and bugpack 4062-10 cam with 1.1:1 bolt up rockers. The 1.25:1 rockers would be a wast of time on stock size head valves. I still haven't had the car on the rolling road to see what it's putting out but im guessing with the engine combo I have it must be around 90 ish BHP and 100 ish lbs torque. The 1800cc engine is amazing it gets the bug to 60 in 7 seconds I was hoping for more cause the 1699cc engine could do it in under 8 seconds but the 1800cc engine is so much more better in every single way it reacts faster and if you want it to you could sit in 2nd gear doing 25 mph in town hit the go pedal and it will spin the wheels up :-) although I don't really drive that way. But I must say one thing g about this cam when compared the my old gene berg 307 cam and that is the bugpack cam seems to be a little lazy below 1400 rpm compared to the 307 cam but above that rpm it's alot better, gives you a lot more torque and gives it up to 6000rpm where it slowly starts to drop of where as the 307 cam just gives you a more constant level of torque from idle to 5000rpm where the torque/power just stops suddenly. So in short the 307 cam is a much better town cam because of the fact the torque is there at low rpm's but the bugpack cam is the best for mixed town and motorway driving.