What is it called because I need one

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!

Moderator: Marc

super beetle

Re: What is it called because I need one

Post by super beetle » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:56 am

mountainkowboy
I went to your site and remember lurking on it from a while back. But for whatever reason I can't bring up the Pic's (I am at work and it may be with how the computer is set up.) I will try at home tonight. I had to stop my "FUN" (ie; knuckle bustin/spraying blood banging head against walls and body parts) due to my building and then work and personal problems. but I am starting to get back on track. I might be asking a lot from you in the months to come. I too, (have as I said before) a 1971 sedan and Vert

super beetle

Post by super beetle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:53 am

moutainkowboy
Just sat down and read your build, all 9 pages. WOW... my head is still spinning.
I had no clue about any VW, let alone a bug, except Herbie of course, before I started looking for one in my area. (Fort Campbell, Kentucky). . After driving to Owensboro KY only to find out he sold it 10 minutes before I got there. I then drove to Illinois to pick up the SB that I have. Unfortunately, the Ft Campbell area is not the best for old VW's. All the salvage yards in any direction only keep the last 10 - 20 years or so in inventory, everything else gets sold to the metal recyclers. So, I have to order everything on line, and foot the shipping costs. The only VW enthusiasts in the area are the Sand rails and Baja guys
I guess I am old fashioned, but I do not really care for the lowered look. As a matter of fact, I kind of like the raised off road look, but not the Baja look. I also cannot afford to put the money into the Bug that I would like. My other hobbies and keeping the wife happy does not leave much. And then the trip I made to midamerica (3 1/2 hour drive one way) and dropped $2500.00 on needed and not/needed parts. (Buyer’s remorse) case in point and the reason for this entry (my wife says that I am long winded).
I bought the front end rebuild kit, and now I am being lead to believe, that I should not have done that but, instead I should have gone (bought /found) after market/ different year/different car type suspension direction.
Bottom line. All I want is a drivable VW. I like the stock look/height and fancy wheels do nothing for me. But I do want reliability and safety.

mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:06 am

My first car was a 58 Beetle and my second was a 65 Convertible that I drove cross country twice, both stock. Since then I've probably owned, sold, traded, 50+ ACVW's, everything but a Bus. Growing up in Southern California in the middle of the "VW Trends" scene the cal-look style being lowered with a big engine, is pretty much ingrained into me. I've had my share of Baja's and off-road Vw's, crap I even raced class 5 Baja for a season (REALLY EXPENSIVE). That being said the next progression is the German style that to me is a form and function package that is more slanted to performance than look. The "lowered" stance is needed to be able to make the car perform similar to the abilities of the newer vehicles, a resto-mod in essence. I have to admit that I'm still up in the air on the vert. I have all the stock stuff for it and have still not decided fully what direction it will go in. I have been given the go ahead by my wife to keep the vert and the Ghia. So I will most likely use the Ghia for the "performance" VW since they are my favorite VW.

Since gasoline runs in my veins and growing up in the middle of ACVW heaven.......I just cant leave ANYTHING stock!
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)

super beetle

Post by super beetle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I grew up an Army brat. So I moved every year till dad was stationed at Ft Campbell, in the early 70's. So I grew up in the Detroit muscle car era. Owned 2 1967 RS Camaro at the same time till I gave them away (at least looking at the today prices) I then got into Harleys. Of which I am still involved (I have 3) and to do the runs I got in to the RV scene. and the grandkid love it (till they get older and don't want to spend time with the Grand’s as much) Like I said "Lots of hobbies) A few years ago I almost bought a 1971 Challenger to rekindle my youth, Till I figured the gas prices and MPG, and Started looking at Bugs. And the rest I posted already. “ Class 5” is that what they call the racers that are high off the ground but don’t really look like a traditional Baja? That’s the look I kind of like.

mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:27 pm

super beetle wrote: “ Class 5” is that what they call the racers that are high off the ground but don’t really look like a traditional Baja?
That's a class 11.

I'm into anything that uses fuel, and was into everything at one time or another. Never got out of bikes or toys.
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)

super beetle

Post by super beetle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:46 am

Class 11, that’s it. I like the look. I am not interested in the roll cage. Or the rules. But I would like the beefy wheels and tires. Reading your thread, it seems that Marc was saying that to get them to stay in the fenders I will need to redo the strut towers and coil springs? I am not interested in it handling like a Fast and Furious car. But I don’t want it to handle like a tank either.
Marc
What is your opinion about how to go about this? (I am not a fabricator or good welder) I need to do this on the cheap or I will not be able to do it.
Remember it’s a 1971 Super Sedan/Vert (I know you hate them) But that’s what I have.