The "Bring it Back" 71 Super Vert Thread

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
BAJA-IT

Re: The "Bring it Back" 71 Super Vert Thread

Post by BAJA-IT »

Don't forget to remove the jack pockets from the sedan pan before you put the vert body on it.

I'm still looking for the lower A pillars for both sides, from above the top hinge down to the heater/rocker panel and about 4 to 5 inches forward. If they are in good shape and available let me know.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

I know about the jack pocket...thanks.

I will not be needing the A pillars on either side, mine are good. I did notice some rust through on the drivers side wheel well, but its not bad. I will get some pics for you and you can check it out.
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

BAJA-IT wrote: I'm still looking for the lower A pillars for both sides, from above the top hinge down to the heater/rocker panel and about 4 to 5 inches forward. If they are in good shape and available let me know.
Here is pics of the A pillars, inside and outside, you can see the rust hole on the drivers side in the pic.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Replaced the rear brake flex lines today with steel braided ones that I got on sale at CIP1 for black Thursday, I got ne E-brake cables too. Got the pan under Vivian also, all that's left for bolting is the 9 down each side. Got the Bakelite's vents installed for the heater along with the "Y" vents from the sedan....they were perfect with operating flaps!

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Those pillars look real good. Just let me know what you want for them when it comes time to cut them out.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

BAJA-IT wrote:Those pillars look real good. Just let me know what you want for them when it comes time to cut them out.
Make me an offer.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Went to my local VW junkyard/parts shop today to get some gaskets and parts and found theses on the used parts shelf......

Haggled for a bit and got them for $50.00 each, there in perfect condition. Anyone know a brand by looking?
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

I was having a HUGE problem getting the spindle separated from the strut, penetrant, BFH, prybar, nothing was working......so I came up with this......turn hit the side, turn hit the side. Took 5 minutes a spindle and they came right apart, who would have known a puller and a couple of nuts.

Well today I got the front end back together, would have been done sooner today if I wasn't such a spazzzz! First I had it almost together and noticed that I had reinstalled the old idler arm, not the one I just replaced the bushing with the new Topline brass one. So it came back apart and I put in the correct idler arm. The second "spazzzz" was I assembled the struts and installed them, then went on to bolting the strut and spindle to the ball joint. Got to the drivers side and the strut wouldn't turn, removed and disassembled to find that I had left out the thick washer that goes between the spring cup and upper strut bearing.....DUH. So anyhow I installed all the new Topline camber plus bushing kit along with new swaybar urethane bushings with the caster corrector bushing on the swaybar. It took some finagling and prying, but I got everything together and torqued. I must say that the new versa struts and all new parts make the front end dramatically tighter and lower........I'm likin it!

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

So......due to the new information that I now have, I took the rear trailing arm off of the convertible pan to replace the ones that I put on the sedans pan. Why? Cause the convertible arms have practically new parts on them, bearings, drums, and I found some aftermarket bushings in the pivot end.....these were a PITA to get out so I could put in the new urethane ones that I bought. Only got the passenger side done before dark, and tomorrow is go to moms day, but I might get home in time to get the drivers side done.......then its on to getting the brakes working.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Got the rear suspension done and torqued today and a working parking brake. I also started to mount up the other fenders that I pick up. Not only do they not fit very well, but the taillights are not mounted in the same place. So I will have to take sections from different fenders to make a good pair of OG ones. Other than some horrible repairs that were done on the fenders that were on it, there not in to bad of shape. I was thinking that I could cut the bad sections out of the original fenders and weld in a replacement piece. I think it will drop another inch to inch and a half when the engine goes in and I think the stance will be just right.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

I HAVE BRAKES!!!!! got everything mounted up today and bleed the brake system. There was some UGLY stuff in there, but its all clean and new now. Mounted tires on 2 of the FV wheels today too, I need spacers on the front...ordered.

Its all coming together.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I think those will look great esp when you get the ride height set.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Piledriver wrote:I think those will look great esp when you get the ride height set.
So do I, I think the rear will drop 1.5-2 inches when the engine and trans are in. I think I have to much pre-load on the front springs also. Wont know till its in "driver" trim, spare tire and fuel.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Parts are in....got the spacers and lug bolts. Removed the front tires and added the spacers with the new chrome lug bolts. No more rubbing and they worked great. I also cleaned the trans up and changed the hockey stick bushing and seal along with the nose cone gasket. As for the nose cone issue, there is a milled groove for the bearing to go in eliminating any clearance problems with fitting an earlier nose cone on the later trans.

All new rubber, nose cone to pan and the clutch/throttle tubes to pan rubber gasket. New trans mounts front and back, new reverse switch. Next is the engine tear down. I'll start with tin removal and will decide where I'm going from there, depending what I find.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Looks like the white LR fender got replaced at one time with one for a `68-`70 - note how much lower the taillamp housing rides. It's one of my pet peeves, the `71/`72 taillights are ugly to begin with IMO but only look worse when they're hung too low - watch out for that while you're building fenders.
Does it look as though that's the factory-installed rear apron? Usually you only see those on a `74, but maybe that was stock for California emissions before that...