Another '72 project

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
harryset

Another '72 project

Post by harryset »

Not exactly from the very beginning, but at least the last three months worth of work.

Have to resize some more.

Got it? Yep, this is the two year old paint job that I wasn't satisfied with. Decided to do a little more work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
harryset

Re: Another '72 project

Post by harryset »

Cut out rotten section of pan.
IMG_0277.jpg
Cleaned up around the edges.
IMG_0300.jpg
Welded in pan replacement piece
IMG_0304.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'72 Standard

harryset

Post by harryset »

New section tacked in place
IMG_0305.jpg
Had to add repair patches in the corners of the wheel wells, on the rear package tray.
IMG_0279.jpg
Removed pedal assembly, master cylinder and rear brake line. Lots of clean up in this area.
IMG_0288.jpg
'72 Standard

harryset

Post by harryset »

After floor and rear package clean up, POR-15, 2 coats.
IMG_0330.jpg
Took this opportunity to replace the brake line that runs from the MC to the rear brakes. . . working with that rear connection tee is a bear. This is an epoxy coated line from Wolfsburg West.
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg
'72 Standard

harryset

Post by harryset »

Re-worked the rear wheels and brakes
IMG_0325.jpg
New shoes, springs, adjusters, wheel cylinders, flex lines, bearings and seals.
IMG_0339.jpg
'72 Standard

harryset

Post by harryset »

Had to quit for a while, paint guy is ready to put it in the booth. Put the doors, hood and deck lid back in place, got her down on 4 wheels once again.
IMG_0374.jpg
Sitting pretty high without all of the weight on it. 185x60's in front, 185x65's in back. When it comes back from paint, a lot more clean up in the trunk area, wheel wells, steering pit, disc brakes in front 2 1/2" drop spindles in front, then figure out whether to drop the rear or not.
IMG_0375.jpg
'72 Standard

gt37jim

Post by gt37jim »

hey harryset, glad to find your build. i have to do the same floor pan repairs,bought the repair pans, but im avoiding it. last welding i did was in 1981 with a gas torch. :? keep posting, haven't found a lot of street car builds. jim
Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

Harryset,
Looks good, I've got a '69 that is sitting awaiting a similar fate. I'm a little aprehensive to begin, as once I tear into her, I'm afraid I'll be biting off more that I can chew. Your photos and those of Lew "My 72 Bug" are very helpful. I hope I am able to take photos and add input to help others as well.

Keep up the great work!

What color are you thinking of painting her? What are the rims you are using, I really like them, they'd look great on my car.

I just had new floors installed in my other car, a '71 standard beetle, Like Jim I haven't welded since high school and well, that was many moons ago. It was nice to drop it off one week and pick up the completed project the next, but I envy you in being able to do the work yourself, I'd have prefered to be able to do the job myself.
harryset

Post by harryset »

gt37jim wrote:hey harryset, glad to find your build. i have to do the same floor pan repairs,bought the repair pans, but im avoiding it. last welding i did was in 1981 with a gas torch. :? keep posting, haven't found a lot of street car builds. jim
I hadn't done anything except gas weld until this last year. Broke down and bought a midrange Mig from Home Depot last year and forced myself to use it. Most of my weld look ugly, but grind down ok.

I'm not even in the same league with Lew. If I had this to do all over again, I'd do a body off clean up and rebuild. Those are EMPI 8 spokes. 15 x 5.5. I may run into some clearance prolems in the front, so that may require me to narrow the beam a tad. . . I'm hoping not, but if I do, I'll do it myself.
'72 Standard

Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

I need to know how to weld, you can do so much cool stuff!! I wonder if you can still learn in your 50's? Need to learn more on narrowing the front and lowering. I have aluminum rims on my '71 and the back rub when there are too many adults in the car and I take a corner too fast. So I guess I need to learn how to raise the back as well.
I have a '69 that I want to do a complete body off, that's where I'll to learn to weld.
You are fortunate to have the space for this job, that's another challenge I need to overcome, my neighborhood frowns on working in your driveway.
What made you decide not to do a body off? Seems like it would have made the floor job easier? Will you paint the interior to match the exterior? Will you go classic for the interior? Have you done this type of job prior?

Wayne
harryset

Post by harryset »

WARNING, LONG POST :shock:

You can learn to weld at 50, I'm 61. It ain't pretty, but I've got things sticking together. Getting the tires set where they look and function like you want, can be a real stinker. Not sure if I've got it all solved yet, or not. I seem to remember that haveing adults in the back of a bug made for a few bumps in the rear, stock. You need to consider tire size and ride height. What tire/wheel setup do you have?

Body off question: I never planned on going this far with my project. I planned for a simple re-paint job about three years ago. Took out the windows and interior. Removed the engine, deck lid, doors and trunk hood. Got new fenders so I took off the old beaters and used them for practice welding and painting. Stripped the exterior of paint using aircraft stripper (stripper from Home Depot seemed to work just as well and was cheaper), and a lot of sanding with the DA sander. Emptied the garage and sprayed epoxy primer. Then sprayed with a couple of coats of base color, Viper blue, pearl, followed with a couple of shots of clear. Somewhere in the process I replaced the seam sealer on the rain gutters, not too happy with the way it layed out though. This was my first attempt at painting anything, so I probably bit off more than I could chew. Ran out of weather for working in the garage. I would have to run the heater, shut it down, spray, turn the heater back on, lifte the doors and run the fans for exhaust, watch flash times, shut the doors, let everything warm up, spray. Money and other circumstances halted the project for a year and a half.

Then got serious again three months ago and started looking at things closer. Decided to get deeper into things and found a lot of things that were bad - Rear wheel nuts frozen, bad brakes, rear brake line severely pitted, pedal assembly rusty and corroded, plus a ton of little things that kept adding up to more time, work and money. Never intended to get this deep into it, otherwise I would have pulled the body and started that way. You'll never hear me say that I did everything right, or did it in the correct order, all I wanted to do was slap some paint on and get her back on the road.

Interior exposed parts will be painted same as outside, Viper blue pearl, some will be sprayed with spectrum from Second Skin for sound deadening. Front end work, when I get to it, will include more cleaning and painting in the steering pit, replacing front brakes with discs and drop spindles, new ball joints, tie rod ends, brake lines, stabilizer and shocks. Possiblity of pulling the beam and narrowing, but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

Tons of lessons learned here: Body off is def the better way to go and be prepared to spend lots of money, do lots of research, search for lots of parts and get frustrated when you can't find them. Some of you guys that live in California are lucky that you have so many options for finding parts. Up here in the frozen north, everything is internet and catalogs.
'72 Standard

harryset

Post by harryset »

When I get the car out of the garage, frickin rain, I'm going to start cleaning up this pig of an engine. All the running parts are fairly new, but it's got everything except chicken s**t on it, from sitting outside for so long.
IMG_0376.jpg
Will place more pictures of the cleanup and tin installation as things progress. BTW, notice how well the cylinder tins fit around the exhaust ports. Most aftermarket tins will not fit around here worth a darn. They also don't have the inside baffles around the spark plugs.

I'm also open to suggestions on how best to clean up the case.
'72 Standard

harryset

Post by harryset »

The engine compartment has been cleaned up since this picture and coated with POR-15. I plan on putting Herculiner, roll on bed liner back here and also the wheel wells, maybe parts of the trunk area.

Anyone got any input on doing this?
IMG_0280.jpg
'72 Standard

bigmeat

Post by bigmeat »

Keep up the good work.

See if you find a welding class in your area. I learned to weld by takeing a 6 week course for 3 hours each week. It cost me 175 dollars but I was able to get my work to pay for it.
gt37jim

Post by gt37jim »

hey harryset,
Just to let you know, the herculiner bed liner has small bits of plastic or something in it to make an anti skid surface, so it is lumpy. i didn't care in the wheel wells, but it is something you should be aware of in visible areas. check out the picture of wheelwell in ugly betty, you will see what i mean. your project is coming along quickly. i'm kind of stalled right now, but seeing others make progress gives me hope. keep updates coming. jim