rim question?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
VW_Man_87

rim question?

Post by VW_Man_87 »

i am wondering whats the size of just my rims, i know they are 15x?

here is a picture of them....:

i think it is a 15x7 rim because i would like to put these tires on my car after i get done with body and suspension modifications:

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1

thanks
Jeremy
im in need of a new front clip for my 74 ghia, i dont care what year its from but i need one in order to fix my front end, can anyone help out?
harryset

Re: rim question?

Post by harryset »

Check and see if it's stamped on the backside of the wheel somewhere.
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

ok will do... if not ill post back
im in need of a new front clip for my 74 ghia, i dont care what year its from but i need one in order to fix my front end, can anyone help out?
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

no stamp on them but my current tire size is 165 r15 86t
Marc

Post by Marc »

I seriously doubt that they're 7", more likely ~5".
Stock rims for a late `Ghia were 4½", made with slightly more backspace than a Beetle rim to increase the rear fender clearance. Use of anything else (or a Type III rim) and/or a wider tire can present problems there

Are you seriously contemplating running 34x9.50-15LT Super Swampers on a Karmann-Ghia? :roll:
They won't even fit on a Beetle without changing the torsion bars and whacking the body, don't know if you could cut enough out of a 'Ghia to get them in...what do you plan to do about the gearing?
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

when im done with fenders and suspension lift (as im working on doing a baja style) these tires im wondering if they would mount to my rims so i dont have to buy new rims

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1
Marc

Post by Marc »

Well, they're intended for a 7" rim but you can shoehorn nearly anything on. I wouldn't recommend it though, putting an 8" tire on a 5" rim will make for squirmy tracking on the road and you'd need to run low pressure to keep the contact patch flat.
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

hmmmm, ok.... maybe i will just buy new rims when i do get to that point
Marc

Post by Marc »

Or you could go a little more conservative on the tires...my son found some 7.00-R15s for the front of his baja, they fit fairly well on a narrow rim and are a little smaller in diameter so they should clear the rear torsion bar caps. Lighter weight, too.
The gearing change compared to stock would only be half of the ~25% you'd get from those Super Swamper monsters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ ... 290160.jpg
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

hmmm ok, do you have a link to those tires?

i plan on having all 4 the same and 1 for the spare
Marc

Post by Marc »

Don't have one handy, I'll have to ask him where he got them.
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

ok thanks, im old school i like to have a full size spare with me at all times
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

hey Marc have you figured out any sources on those tires you son has on his baja?
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I don't remember where I got them, but they're just Yokohamas...I think they're stock equipment on some Isuzu work trucks.
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

ok what size are they?