Project Oddball - A Build Saga

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Qurtys Lyn

Re: Project Oddball - A Build Saga

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

Update: Spot welds have been drilled in preparation for replacing basically the whole passenger side except the door and fender wells. Now that Christmas is over, more time will be available to work. We have all the body panels I need (I got the last one for Christmas). Now it all comes down to time (and warmth, it's cold after I get home from work).
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I know how the rusty fenders thing goes. Must be a Utah thing... At the point that my car is at though, they just add character, not to mention a little shock value when they see, or hear the powerplant in action :twisted:
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

They also scare Girlfriends away (in this case a good thing, she was not good for me). :twisted:
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My wife still married me! Thank goodness. She doesn't even hate to cruise around in it with me. Gotta let it stretch its legs a little when she's with me though, it keeps her smiling, and we all know how important it is too keep the smile planted on that face...I'm in Utah too. You familiar with any of the local clubs or enthusiasts? There are lots of good people involved in the area, many who have been down the road you are on now. I've been involved with the SLC club on and off for probably going on 20 years. They meet at ACE(Air Cooled Engineering) in Salt Lake every first Thurdsay at 7pm.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

Been out there a few times, We're the ones that brought the Class 9 buggy, and the Yellow Baja if you were there either of those times (both are my dad's) last summer. It's a cool shop, I wish I had that much room, instead of working in my garage with only a foot or two on any side of the car. :lol:
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

They are a nice group. I have been there only 2 or 3 times in the last few years for the meetings. School usually gets in the way. So I don't remember your cars. Have you gottten any work done on yours since you got your new body panels?
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

We're about ready to pull the body off the pan and replace the body panels. It requires time though, which is something that I am usually lacking in. I need to get them replaced before Race season starts, cause then we'll have the race car to work on. This weekend, I'll be limited on time again, with a Rally Cross race on Saturday, and setting up for my Aunt's Recital. Grrr.

If only I had a shop I could work in when I couldn't sleep, that wouldn't bother the neighbors (or the parents). I'd be set :D
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

At least you've got a garage to work in. I have a driveway. Are you talking the offroad race season? Or pavement? Time is definitely a tough thing to come by for sure. It'll come along slowly though. Just gotta stay motivated.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

Offroad, our first race is March 27th.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

You guys start early! We have 2-3 weeks longer to wait before RMR opens.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

That's cause it's in Vegas! :D MINT 400

Our first race up here isn't until May 1st in Wendover with BOR.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Gotta love vegas!
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

Qurtys Lyn wrote:That's cause it's in Vegas! :D MINT 400

Did you forget about our Winter RallyX races?

We have the next one on February 13th out at miller motorsports park in one of their gravel parking lots.

Chip you should come out and watch if u have the chance, maybe even ride a lap in my Baja.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The winter rally stuff sounds like lots
of fun! Last year my dad and I ran his 993 out there for a snow cross event. But it was on the actual track. It was quite fun. We Both did pretty bad, but it sure was fun. It was good to meet you guys on Thursday!
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

1966bajabug wrote:
Qurtys Lyn wrote:That's cause it's in Vegas! :D MINT 400

Did you forget about our Winter RallyX races?

We have the next one on February 13th out at miller motorsports park in one of their gravel parking lots.

Chip you should come out and watch if u have the chance, maybe even ride a lap in my Baja.
Okay, I'll admit, I forgot about that.

Maybe if I can get it running, I can race Dad's Baja, since I think he's racing the truck.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936