WAS "Back in the time of RAMVA" - SCCA Rally UPDAT

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
fusername

Post by fusername »

can;t imagine there is much of an underside left on that thing, but the body looks great, and add in all the stories and it is a tottaly worth while resto. Can't wait to see it in person!
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Quick look at the pan didn't look that bad, but won't know until I get it home and on some jackstands. You'll get to check it out first hand!
fusername

Post by fusername »

now that I think of it, you said it was in a garage the whole time anwyays didntyou? I was thinking if it had been stored on grass it would have been moist underneath at all times, but maybe it was just pushed out for photos? anyways lookin forward to peekin at the monster, I have never seen a non-baja super in person, so the rally will be a new one. Still coughing, but feeling loads better, finally. I think it must have been swine flu.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

<resisting any swine comments>

:D

It has actually been stored outside like you thought, but it has had fully inflated tires the whole time and there isn't much foliage where it is at so it didn't **seem** to be too bad underneath but I could be a complete idiot and be wrong. I'll find out in 4 days and a wakeup:)

If you come up this weekend, Sunday would be best I think but check with me as things get closer.
fusername

Post by fusername »

I have declared that to be my illness, although in retrospect the roots are a bit too obscure. http://xkcd.com/574/ , so you can inform yourself!

well, until then I will carry your harness around in my car, lest I loose it in my parts room/rec room/storage room/play room. While we are on the topic of junk, is there any other doodad you need that I can free myself of? engine parts are plentiful these days, but it sounds like you are all buttoned up on that front, but I have a collection of bug parts like line locs and pitman arms and other no good bits and bobs. if think of anything, just shoot me a pm or something and I'll let you know.

Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Line locs? Hmmm. Now that sounds interesting...

While you are offering up, have any T1 defroster stuff? I'm missing most of it on my 68.

I wish I had a better idea of what I am going to need for the rally Bug but I don't. The only engine stuff I'm lacking right now is a rebuildable PICT34 but that is for a way in the future project, otherwise at this point, I'm good.

I cleaned out Booberry (the blue sorta-retro Bug) last night so work can start on that (and so I can get the rally Bug in the yard).
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

She's home, new thread for the restoration started The resurrection of a Rally veteran. Thanks for your interest!
Last edited by Sneaks on Fri May 15, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
fusername

Post by fusername »

Sneaks wrote:She's home, new thread for the restoration started HERE.Thanks for your interest!
fixed

Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Thanks. Had a short bus moment:)
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

what's wrong with the short bus?

:lol:
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Don't let the TOS Abortion Nazis see that....

My Emory tribute made that thread:)
fusername

Post by fusername »

i find it hilarious what they will call an abortion. anything that doesn't have stock sheet metal is an abortion. someone musta rubbered them the wrong way. maybe thier dad got hit by a baja back in 79? who knows.

Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Some of the 'abortions' on there are some really sweet rides, if ain't stock, it an abortion :roll:
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

Sneaks wrote: if ain't stock, it an abortion :roll:
hehe... if it's stock, it's not "me".... :lol:
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Just a quick update, I've updated the thread in the ORF as well. Not sure if anyone is following this in the other thread but the car caught the attention of a writer for Hot VW magazine and is going to have a series done covering the restoration of the car. I've been communicating with the writer for the last few months and the series is a go, I am just waiting on some details/requirements to move forward.

I've already enlisted a couple of friends to help, one who built a Super-based volksrod with a Ford front end and another who spent 20+ years in the kit car assembly industry. Both have some seriously crazy fabrication skills. Anyone in the New England area who wants to help out, the more the merrier, or if you are just in the area and want to check it out, just shoot me a message.

Doc has donated some STF stickers to go along with the ORF flag I bought so the website will get some exposure. I'm trying to locate some authentic vintage Cibie lights for it. I'm talking with Pirelli about some assistance with tires as well as livery since Uniroyal has no desire in the project or Rally, but Pirelli is still involved and the US office sounds like they want to help out. The car ran Pirelli sponsorship in the 70s and early 80s. I've contacted Bilstein about rebuilding the shocks. I'm hoping a few other doors might open up soon, once everything is finalized.