My 72 Bug

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
david58

Post by david58 »

Pan looks great Lew and it was nice to meet you.
Lew

Line X Material!

Post by Lew »

I'm glad I had it done David. It was worth the money having the bottom sprayed....I am thinking between the Line X on the bottom and installing Fatmat on the inside, it should help on quitening down a good bit of road noise also. :D
I should be able to get my rebuilt front beam, the rear swing arms and freshly painted transaxle in tommorrow. I might have a rolling chassis soon. I got all the parts, just need a little more time.....No picture till it's rolling. :)
Lew

Post by Lew »

I need this Rubber Bushing. I cannot find it on California Imports Site. :o It protects my hard Brake Line where it passes through the rear cross member of the chassis.

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

This is a split type, the factory ones are like an umbrella but I don't think anyone is reproducing them (I suspect they were installed before the fittings & flare).
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 16-211-751
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Lew

Post by Lew »

Yep, your right the original ones are like you said, and that's what I have but it's shot. I got somethings in my cart from CPI1 but they are updating their site as I post this message....They are going back to their regular pricing as of last night at 12. Crapola! At ten, their prices were still 30% off on their site. OH well, life is tuff and then you die...... :) I appreciate your help Sideshow!
Lew

Before and After!

Post by Lew »

Remember before it was Line X'ed.

Nice and Thick! Gotta help on supressing Road Noise......
Lew

Post by Lew »

My Trailing Arms ready for installation.

Lew

Post by Lew »

Getting some things put back together.

The mounts are in place and the Transaxle cleaned.......

Lew

Post by Lew »

My Beam almost done. After I installed the Beam and Rotors, I pondered over Backing Plates. I could have run without them, but I felt it best to have them.....So, I ordered Backing Plates from CIP1 which I thought would fit without any problems. Well, I was wrong, they were for the Ghia, and since I had new dropped spindles, they had no mounting holes for the BP's. I tried Installing them using the bolts that held the calipers in place in reverse order,(the green arrows) but found the bolt heads rubbed against the rotors, plus they were not enough support to keep the Backing Plate from flexing away from the spindles.....After some thought, I figured the only way to mount them was to drill out the marked holes at the yellow arrows. The red circle is my first tap using a short 5/16" bolt. My second tap was 180 degrees from my first tap.....That then gave me the support holding the BP's tight against the dropped spindles, therefore there was no need for the third bolt. A dry run with the Rotors in place gave good spacing for the BP's. :D

Good clearance and spacing now! :)

Lew

Post by Lew »

Image :D

david58

Post by david58 »

It is too clean I would never be able to drive it. :shock:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Lew

Dry Fit on Joints and Axles!

Post by Lew »

After I cleaned and inspected the CV Joints, they were re-installed in their original postion,
then the entire axle was turned over so CV Joints are now turning in the opposite direction
from their original rotation. The Axles are still turning in their original rotation since I swapped
ends on the Axles when installing the CV Joints. The Ball Bearings will now ride on a new
space on the splined Ball Cage. Now after the dry fit, all they need is joint grease.

Last edited by Lew on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
david58

Post by david58 »

Looking good there Lew what are your plans for tires and wheels?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Lew

Post by Lew »

I have definetly thought about new wheels. I am not sure what I want.....I am somewhat leaning toward the Empi spokes, or the BRM flat fours.....There are so many wheels out there to choose from....I have looked around on Samba and found some nice looking used wheels, but I think I would prefer new ones......I do want to get the right set up with wheels and tires......Sizes are important as to the stance I want.....Just not sure right now what would work well on the car.....Any help or ideas would be helpful...... :)
david58

Post by david58 »

Lew wrote:I have definetly thought about new wheels. I am not sure what I want.....I am somewhat leaning toward the Empi spokes, or the BRM flat fours.....There are so many wheels out there to choose from....I have looked around on Samba and found some nice looking used wheels, but I think I would prefer new ones......I do want to get the right set up with wheels and tires......Sizes are important as to the stance I want.....Just not sure right now what would work well on the car.....Any help or ideas would be helpful...... :)
What stance are you looking for? There are plenty of pics on here look thru them it may help you decide on the wheels you want.