Need picture of dual ICT bellcrank linkage (please)

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
[email protected]

Need picture of dual ICT bellcrank linkage (please)

Post by [email protected] »

I recently bought a CSP bellcrank linkage kit to replace the POS standard linkage I got with my dual ICT kit. The kit comes with no instuctions.

I have emailed CIP, the seller, and CSP directly for instructions.

However, I just need a picture (or description) of which linkage arm goes to which carburetor and do they pull to open or push to open the throttles?

Please don't recomment the CSP web site. They have PDF files for other carbs, and the setup is NOT the same.

Thanks for the help!
Brian
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

I don't have any experience with the CSP linkage personally, but I hear they are nice. They also make quite a few different configurations of linkage for different applications. Your ICTs throttle levers move the SAME direction. IIRC the shafts rotate clockwise to increase throttle. You should be able to mount the bellcrank assembly onto the case, hook up the throttle cable to it, and figure out which rod goes to which carb from there. One will probably have a bend in it to clear the Alt stand. BOTH linkages should mount to the same pivot point on the bellcrank to give movenent in the same direction to both carbs. The right carb will have the lever being PULLED from right to left with throttle application. And the left carb will have the lever PUSHED from right to left. This is with the levers pointing downward from the carbs, rather than up, which is how I THINK the CSP linkage works. I wish I could be more specific, sorry.

If you could post a picture of what you've got, more the better, we could help better with what goes where :) .

Good luck
Karl

DON'T QUIT
pilothyer

CSP Linkage for ICT Carbs

Post by pilothyer »

Brian.......If you are using this linkage it is a push - push. Now since both carbs open and close the same way you will need to attach the supplied levers that the rods attach to so the the left carb lever is up and the right carb lever is down..... in this way the left carb opens with a push from the top and at the same time the right carb opens with a push from the bottom.......This link makes it very clear.................................. http://www.csp-shop.de/technik/pdf/deeng/20594.pdf If it doesn't are you sure this is the linkage you have???? I hope this helps you...Jerry
[quote="Please don't recomment the CSP web site. They have PDF files for other carbs, and the setup is NOT the same.

Thanks for the help!
Brian[/quote]

Brian....The link in my reply is for the CSP web site, but it is for your ICT Carbs.....Jerry
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Thanks!
CSP emailed me a set of instuctions. They said they were working on updating the web site, and I guess they have!
pierrox

Re: Need picture of dual ICT bellcrank linkage (please)

Post by pierrox »

Resurrecting an old thread.
How do you make sure the linkage opens both carbs the same way, at the same time?
The CSP bell crank is not in the center of the engine (right rod is longer than left as the pivot sits on the left side of the case) and its vertical axis is not aligned with the carb throttle axis. All this geometry has a price: you might be at the same spot at idling, but at mid or full throttle, the carbs are not opened the same exact way.
What's your solution?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Because the ICTs are push-pull like Kadrons, the only PROPER center-twist linkage for them needs a draglink.
With a simple center-twist setup (no draglink) you can get both carbs mechanically synch'ed at idle and at WOT, but anywhere in between there will be a slight discrepancy induced by the pivot point swinging through its arc and having a different ratio on either side as it does so.
The best you can do is to set it up so that the center pivot is pointed straight forward at half-throttle, that'll minimize the difference between the sides. Most folks are happy with that, it's "close-enough".

An arguably better setup is a cross-bar linkage, but even those can have problems since the throttle cable pulls off-center so one side tends to twist more than the other, and any slop in the end bushings causes a similar effect. Running a slightly lighter return spring on the RH carb than on the LH one can help some.

Personally I use Berg linkage (with home-made downlinks) which avoids all of these issues, as well as those caused by the slight growth in engine width as the engine heats up.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I wonder if the Original Poster had any luck, its been nearly 9 years since he got the directions.

I find the term push/pull confusing, I prefer to call that steering linkage because it remind me of typical wheel steering linkage. While the Kadron had a drag link design (that worked well) they also used different arms at the throttle plates to more square it up.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.