Jiffy Lube Guarantee....LOL

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
kangaboy

Jiffy Lube Guarantee....LOL

Post by kangaboy »

So i was in Jiffy Lube the other day getting my oil changed in my truck....and i noticed a sign on the wall...it read somthing like "If your fluids need to be topped of at anytime, you can bring it back to Jiffy Lube and they will fill it back up for you; i.e Oil, Washer Fluid." It actually was way different than that, but that was the bottom line. I just got a kick out of that and was thinking about taking my beetle up there during the spring for an oil change....the same beetle that can drop a quart of oil a week!!!!!! So if i just go back up there every week ill never have to buy oil again!!!! Of course i dont think this would work at all but i hope it gives u a chuckle as it gave me one just thinking about being a regular at Jiffy Lube

"Oh great here comes that guy in his beetle again...."
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Over the past two years my friend's shop replace 3 engines that the local Jiffy Lube damaged by crushing the new oil filter and it blowing out. Once was a new Mustang Cobra with 6000 miles.

They also mistakenly drained the tranny fluid from a Porsche Carrera 4 Tiptronic instead of the oil. When they realized it they filed the tranny with new ATF. And didn't tell the owner The only problem is that the car takes a Porsche specific ATF that is VERY expensive. During the 3 mile drive home the tranny would not shift correctly and died. It was towed to my friends shop where they found the wrong ATF in it. He questioned the Jiffy Lube manager and found they refilled it. At that point he had the car towed to the Porsche dealer where it needed the transmission replaced. I think the bill was close to $14k.

He sure got his money's worth.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

http://www.DasVolks.com
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

but after awhile they will use the oil they drained out of someone else car to put in your vw.....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
2332 baja

Post by 2332 baja »

I've used them ONCE and will never do it again. My car was a little overdue for an oil change and we were leaving on a trip from FL to KY. I didn't have time to change it so my wife took it to Jiffy. She dropped me off at my parents and headed out for her parents house. About 30 minutes later she calls saying the car sounds "funny". I had her pull over and check the oil and was shocked when she said there's nothing showing on the dipstick :shock: Turns out they forgot to tighten the drain plug and we lost about 3 of the 4 quarts that the little engine held. I have no idea how the plug stayed in or why the engine didn't lock up. But, the car lived for several more years and was running fine when we sold it.

Needless to say,,, I'd rather change my oil every 10k miles then let someone else change the oil again. I realize this was probably a "stroke of bad luck" but it's just not worth the risk to me :oops:
bo

Post by bo »

im the manager of a jiffy lube we have had the same problems
bugman742002

Post by bugman742002 »

i know of a story that hit the news here in houston. a lady went to jiffy lube got her oil changed and left or tried to leave the car made it about 100 ft when the engine siezed up. they forgot to refill the oil.
fortyeye

Post by fortyeye »

Hey Kanga ... did you ever get your new carbs squared away?
AKA clearsurf
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

My grandpa actually lost his brand new 2005 F250 motor due to the quick lube place didnt put any oil back in the truck after they drained it.....he ended up getting a refurbished motor, but it sucked cause the original motor only had about 1000 miles on it.

Forty- i didnt get to put them on yet...still to cold around here and i still havent had too much time yet.
sinistervw

Post by sinistervw »

When i worked at a vw dealership a common problem we had in alot... On the Passats they would drain the atf, and then add oil to the engine!!! So not only would the trans blow up, but the cats would be destoryed along with O2 sensors, turbo models would blow oil seals, and once there was a 1.8T blew oil seals on turbo and hydro locked engine with oil!
Pepo

Post by Pepo »

Well I used to let them change the oil on several of my vehicles. I also used to take some oil that came from my lawnmower and garden tractor. Then suddenly they told me that they would not take any more used oil. I even called their headquarters in Texas and they told me the same thing. They have not seen me since.
perrib

Post by perrib »

Anyone and everyone who uses a service like that gets what they deserve! I have seen 13 qts of oil drained from turbo Porsches and install 4 qts, drained VW and Audi V6 transmissions and over filled the engine. Removed the timing plug from water cooled VWs and fill the bellhousing full of gear oil, no oil loose drain plugs, stripped drain plugs. Funny thing is the cheap butt heads go right back. I changed 5 oil pans in a row on one VW and he still went back and I did the seventh $175 x6 for. He had bought a lifetime LOF for $99.95. I finally convinced him that at $25 each for my oil changes he could of had over 50 of them done correctly. It was 25 grand to fix the Porsche back in 1985,
The S4 Audi estimate was over fourteen grand and the offenders insurance co said only used parts and I said good bye. A year later the customer was still calling asking me what to do and each time I told I don't installed used cats and transaxles and to get a lawyer. His knew the price ahead of time and was ok with it but sent his wife with his car to me for an LOF, she told me there was no way she was paying $80.00 for an oil change when Chinamart does them for $14.
Never mind the hundreds of oil pumps and main/rod bearings we changed at 40-80k miles because the A-1 and A-2 engines were fed a steady diet of 10-30 oil. Countless 1.8 Ts engines destroyed by coked up
oil sump screens fed a stead diet of dino 10-30.

Hundreds of A-2 towed in with a new alternator, starter and battery from Moe, Larry and Curly still with inoperative starters/bead batteries.

Also towed from Moe, Larry and Curly hundreds off FI VWs with new tires and rebuilt axles but still did not start.

Then we get to the rich over educated ones. Time 1992. Big money boy swim coach with a 560 SL w/ 40k miles comes to the shop for an LOF and a noise.
Bill for the LOF $50, diagnostics of worn out came and followers free. Coach goes ballistic over the phone I never paid more than $9.00 for a LOF. I replied thats why I saved your original oil filter completely filled with sludge so you know why your engine is noisey. At that time it was $4500 to replace cams, cam towers and followers.

Best one yet Dean Lowry sent me his daughter's Westmoreland produced Rabbit because she was told the constantly blinking head lights indicated the car needed service. She brought me thier estimate for new brakes, tune up, coolant flush, tires, axles, struts and shocks around $2000 way overpriced for the time. $55 later the headlights did not blink. It aslo needed none of the "needed service".

Ignorance must be bliss since there is so much of it around.