Wheel Bearings for a 65' Beetle?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
FreeBuglet

Wheel Bearings for a 65' Beetle?

Post by FreeBuglet »

I apologize first off I don't know if its unappropriate to mention other sites, but I recenty have been using aircooled.net to restore my bug and while shopping I ran into a small problem, for me anyway.

While looking for bearings I came across two selections for my year... a Roller bearing and a Ball Bearing. I dissasembled my front to find Ball bearing's. Just seeking advice on why a Roller or Ball would out perform the other. Or If because the drum was fitted with Ball thats what Im stuck with? :?: :P

Thanks,
Kevin.
Marc

Post by Marc »

You can use either. Theoretically the ball will have slightly less rolling resistance, but the tapered-roller are going to be stronger and last longer and they're what I'd use if the cost isn't a problem.
What you must NOT do is mix bearing types on the same spindle - the roller bearings generate a side-thrust that will wear out a companion ball bearing prematurely.
MikeVW

Post by MikeVW »

What up Kevin? Lovin the free bug eh? I think you signature should say "if you're not hitting it hard you're not doing it right" :D See you Tuesday.

Mike
vicsvw

Ball & Roller

Post by vicsvw »

One other thing to keep in mind is the bearings are torqued differently. The roller bearing is slightly pre loaded, and the ball bearing is adjusted loose enough that the thick lock washer can be moved by hand. Most ball bearings are destroyed by being to tight. See -> Wheel Bearing Adjusting <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/qa_whe ... adjust.htm