Webber 44 IDF idle circuit??

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Bugzlife

Post by Bugzlife »

I have yet to tear them appart and go throught the Idle circuits with special pipe cleaners and flash light.

Quite possible that some flashing from the Molds was not removed, or holes are not exactly the same on both carbs.

Will do a compression check on all for cylinders, just to make sure I do not have a blown cylinder? I doubt it but will check.

Both my carbs were purchased from ACE engineering, 2 years ago, and installed last year, one of them (left side was modified with the return spring conversion, done by Ace, but this should have no effect on the Idle air flow. As both butterflys on both sides are at same pitch at idel (1000 rpm) Closed like Redline explains.
InnocentShrike

Post by InnocentShrike »

I noticed that rocky point mex, said he ran the numbers and came up with a recommendation on Venturi's, idle circuits, air correctors and main jets.

I have a set of new 44 IDF's that came from Scat.

They have
F11
36 Venturi's
Idles - not sure (will check)
150 mains
200 air correctors.

My engine is a 2275, superflow heads (42mm, 37.5 mm),1.25 Scat ratio rockers, 1 5/8 extractors, Scat C45 cam. Mallory Hyfire CDI. The shiftpoint is currently 6600. Engine seems to runs well, but rich. Usage is street/strip. HP at wheels is approx 120hp.

My tracks are just above sea level.

Should I modify the carbs combination of internal goodies, or am I on the right track with what is in this?

Thanks,

James C.
Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Every engine is different, heads cam exhaust and general state of tune,however, no matter what the size you can be assured that the venturies dictate the choice of jets in general.

For example ,the jetting you are running is close to what I was with a set of 48IDFs with 40mm venturies on a 1915cc engine.

Same engine, only 44s with 36vents and 135,140 main jets.

Dont go too lean too fast, but I would invest in a set of 140 mains to begin with, or borrow some if you can.

See what happens.

Generally 4xvent size is my rule of thumb.

So that is 144, here in Aust, I always see it being 1 or 2 sizes less than that rule.