Torsion arm removal?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
type11969

Torsion arm removal?

Post by type11969 »

I am trying to install a disc brake kit into my 69 Beetle, but I can't get the left lower torsion arm out of the torsion tube so that I can get new ball joints pressed in. I took out the set screw, but it won't budge. Any ideas?
Zebedee

Torsion arm removal?

Post by Zebedee »

I had exactly the same problem on my 70 beetle, three came out easy, one stuck solid. Is the torsion arm free to move up and down? Mine was solid. It had siezed in the bearing in the torsion tube. I got around it by hitting it with a sledge hammer, first working it one way then the other. No need to go mad, just enough to free it off. It eventually comes free after a while (try 1/2 an hour or so). When refitting it i filed the end of the torsion arm slightly so i could move it by hand.
type11969

Torsion arm removal?

Post by type11969 »

Actually both of the bottom torsion arms won't pull out, the tops came off fine. The weird thing is that they do move, they aren't frozen solid. They are a little stiff though. I'll try that sledge hammer idea.

Thanks,

Chris
Zebedee

Torsion arm removal?

Post by Zebedee »

Is the front beam still attached to the car? I had removed mine and put it into a vice on the workbench so access was easier. Rotating the torsion arm while trying to pull it out might work. The hammer way was because mine would not rotate.
Hope it works,

Martin
Glenn

Torsion arm removal?

Post by Glenn »

If they move up and down, then it's time for a dead blow hammer. You should check the bearing races in the beam once the trailing arms have been removed. They might need to be replaced.
Tom Simon

Torsion arm removal?

Post by Tom Simon »

If thing get desparite, you could always pry out one end cap (the one that covers the ends of the torsion leaves, that is pressed into a machined pocket in the torsion arm)its hard to see for all the grease and crud, but its there. Then loosen the center set screw, and hit the ends of the leaves with a brass punch a BFH (Big Freakin' Hammer). This would drive the opposite arm and leaves out of the beam. Good luck!