Best at the strip cheapo radials?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
John S.

Best at the strip cheapo radials?

Post by John S. »

Back in the day guys would put on Kelly Springfields to try to get their mustangs into the 14's. I've had some good traction at the track on 205/60-15 Potenza's. Just curious on some combo's.
John S.

Re: Best at the strip cheapo radials?

Post by John S. »

I know people usually shoot it down. But, I want to try winter tires. Their a softer compound than regular tires.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

No studded tires please! :roll: :lol:

I haven't run on the track since the early 90's (low 14' in a SBF V8 Pinto with bad gearing, no posi and wrinkle walls) so I am sure things have changed.

Just for the heck of it I did a search on what you asked and found a couple of videos but I don't think they are what you are after (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wi ... &FORM=VDRE) In a different search I did not find anything about using the winter compound tires but back in the 50's guys I knew did use snow tires for the wide foot print but then we didn't have steel radials just a couple of versions of nylon or the good Ol' conventional bias style of tires. The snow tires didn't last long for sure.

I am not sure the compounds are what you want assuming the basic construction is the same for all seasons.
John S.

Post by John S. »

Well, when I search. It seems the argument is about sizes and contact patch. If I do it, I plan on getting the same size tire that I normally use. 195/65-15 or 20/65-15. If I find them on sale, I'll give it a try.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Add to that rim width. Since I haven't kept up with drag racing itself and tires I am not sure what the current thinking is but too narrow or two wide of a rear tire for the rim width can change the contact patch pattern (and tire pressure) and what the sidewalls do.
John S.

Post by John S. »

I'm not stranger to drag racing VW's, as I've had a few drag cars. I just want to cruise to the track and race. Slowly upgrading my bug as I go. All in fun. Just like all of us, I have multiple engine combos scattered around my garage and a brain that never sleeps.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry, its hard when all the facts aren't there :oops: .

On my first stint at the track with the V8 Pinto I had I was shocked when a guy blew up his car then borrowed a friends car that had all the goodies (trans brake, auto line lock, and all the other good stuff) and got a 0.001 on the launch and was under his post by 0.01 to win. I was doing the whole thing manually and while my launch was OK I went over my post by the same amount as he was under. I didn't want to spend the extra several thousand so I tore the car apart but still have most of the running gear. Another thing in my garage to get rid of. :lol:

They used to have a fun thing which was a minute run. With all the electronics they were using you launched hard then tried to get a 60 second run. Over and under and you were out.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've never run my car in its current setup on street tires at the track. The one time I drove the car to the track and raced it, I did it with slicks on the back seat, jack, tools and 2, 5 gallon gas cans, E85 for me and some 114 octane for my Dad's drag bug, all crammed inside the car. I drove out, ran 4 or 5 passes, got my desired 11 second run and then drove the pig home. This is my last year of drag racing the car, if I can get to my current goal on slicks, maybe I'll throw the street tires on and go for a ride. It'll be a good excuse to try out the traction control code.
John S.

Post by John S. »

I've seen people run 14's with a decent engine and regular street radials. It would just be neat to have a small traction edge, just by picking a specific tire over an other. Or maybe I want to be the guy getting it done on 100% street tires.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

John S. wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 am I've seen people run 14's with a decent engine and regular street radials. It would just be neat to have a small traction edge, just by picking a specific tire over an other. Or maybe I want to be the guy getting it done on 100% street tires.
As long as you are working towards a goal and learning things, and having fun... that is what is important. Your goal is something that I think can be achieved and once you have met it you will come up with a new goal and go for it... and have fun 8) . Once it becomes a business then things change dramatically and it becomes a different type of fun :roll: ... I guess. :wink:

Lee
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

John S. wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 am I've seen people run 14's with a decent engine and regular street radials. It would just be neat to have a small traction edge, just by picking a specific tire over an other. Or maybe I want to be the guy getting it done on 100% street tires.
My same car went 14.3 on cheap 195/60s back in the day, totally different drivetrain then. Spun hard in 1st and 2nd. I think I only ran 4 or 5 passes that way though.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

I have run the same radials at the the track for the past 10+ years, not on purpose, but just because I've only been to the track twice and dont put a ton of miles on the car. The tires are Kumho Ecsta 215/65's on a Flat-4 5.5" BRM. The tires have supported multiple mid-13 second passes. No burn out, just lowered the tire pressure to about 26 psi. I think I paid about $85 per tire back in the day. Next tire I buy is going to be M&H DOT tires. They arent cheap but they should hook well and hold up on the street.