How much power do I need to run an 11:99?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
petew

How much power do I need to run an 11:99?

Post by petew »

So, I was thinking about entering an event. Problem being, you have to have run an 11:99 to bother applying. How much power would I need to run an 11:99 in a 1916lbs street car? It's running a 1600 turbo/EFI motor.

Is it doable or am I dreaming?
petew

Re: How much power do I need to run an 11:99?

Post by petew »

This calculator tells me 223hp...

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/calculate.html

Is that about right?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

crank or wheel hp???
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Ummm, dunno.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Rodney Adams here in the US just went 11.4 with his 1600 setup. His car is almost stock weight. He runs a blow through Holley 2 barrel carb setup. Not a lot of big dollar parts inside the engine. Its all whats bolted on and what its burning. He runs e85 and a locked out distributor. Look him up at radesigns.com. He is a good guy and knows his stuff.

I went 11.8@119 a few years back having just made 278whp. I did it at 4500ft altitude. I also know that the car isn't setup to be a racecar. It had stock suspension other than ride height at the time. Lots to be gained by tuning that kind of stuff.
Those calculators are a best of circumstances kind of thing. Mario shows the opposite results. He went 11.5@115 after just making 236whp on the dyno. Now his car is definitely lighter than mine, but not by tons, but i know his suspension was a little more thought out than mine. His gearing is more street designed than mine is though too, using a stock 4th gear, wheras mine is a little shorter, not much, but a little.

Just stuff to think about. VW turbo cars seem to usually need more than the calculators state. At least that's my experience.
petew

Post by petew »

Well I guess I should start by taking it down the strip and see what it does as is. Right?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Yes sir
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

petew wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 pm Well I guess I should start by taking it down the strip and see what it does as is. Right?
What do you have for a gear box? Stock? Gonna run slicks? A stock box won't last long once you start trying to dip into 11s territory.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

petew wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 pm So, I was thinking about entering an event. Problem being, you have to have run an 11:99 to bother applying. How much power would I need to run an 11:99 in a 1916lbs street car? It's running a 1600 turbo/EFI motor.

You will need gold platinum titanium and black card power! A broom and dust pan, trailer, tow vehicle and no need for it to be used as a street car. You must also enjoy short drives.

This of course my observations of a much lighter full fendered beetle that is plated and 10.90. I last saw him in WoodBurn where he twisted both sides (splines into the drum) ultra high dollar unbreakable finish racing axle. If you vehicle weighs more (like bumpers or all the paint) or it is your first try, expect it to cost a lot more.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
petew

Post by petew »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:14 pm What do you have for a gear box? Stock? Gonna run slicks? A stock box won't last long once you start trying to dip into 11s territory.
I've got a late 1300 swingaxle box (AB code) with a superdiff, thrust plate and 4:12 gears. My builder told me no burnouts.

Dunno about tyres. Haven't thought too hard about it.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

sideshow wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:07 pm
petew wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 pm So, I was thinking about entering an event. Problem being, you have to have run an 11:99 to bother applying. How much power would I need to run an 11:99 in a 1916lbs street car? It's running a 1600 turbo/EFI motor.

You will need gold platinum titanium and black card power! A broom and dust pan, trailer, tow vehicle and no need for it to be used as a street car. You must also enjoy short drives.

This of course my observations of a much lighter full fendered beetle that is plated and 10.90. I last saw him in WoodBurn where he twisted both sides (splines into the drum) ultra high dollar unbreakable finish racing axle. If you vehicle weighs more (like bumpers or all the paint) or it is your first try, expect it to cost a lot more.
An 11.99 car could be a pretty reasonable street car. I did it with my old small turbo, smallish cam, and moderate boost on e85. Drove the car 40 miles there, swapped tires at the track ran the number and then drove it home.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

https://youtu.be/rkBdkL76qy4

Here is the same car a few years later, this past summer.
Street car vs. Race car, please note who left second :wink: 12.1 at 105 dealing with some boost control issues.
https://youtu.be/Uv63xR1GXWk
Note the flashing win light on my opponents side. I think we both broke out by a bunch. I chased him down, caught him and put a fender on him.
petew

Post by petew »

Looks like a lot of fun. The Corvette owner must have been ticked off! :)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

He was pretty cool when I saw him a few weeks later. Happy to try for a rematch. We weren't able to do it. But it would have been fun. He put it in the 11s that next time out. Fast car.