Breaking rocker arms

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Tommy_v

Breaking rocker arms

Post by Tommy_v »

Hi everyone,
After a bit of advice if anyone may be able to help, so about 12monts ago I broke a rocker on inlet #4 initially I thought it had happened because the lashcap may have come off somehow and the pushrods become in contact with the rocker itself not the locating cup. Anyway thought no more of it and replaced the rocker and upgraded pushrods to manton series 5 and all seemed fine.... untill last week when the rocker on inlet #3 did pretty much exactly the same. 12months seems along time but the car has only covered probably 3-400 miles. I have checked for coilbind and there seems to be plenty of clearance on both inner and outer springs and there Is nothing contacting through the stroke of the arm. Did i just get unlucky and get a bad batch of forgings? I only just remembered after looking at the pics but on one of them you can see where it looks like the oil hole has broken through the side just next to the adjusting screw- this was the one that let go last week.
Engine spec is 2276 turbo efi. Street eliminator heads. Vw650 springs. Fk8 cam, manton series 5 pushrods, cb forged 1:4 rockers.

This is first rocker that let go
IMG_7303.jpg
This is pic I took at time of first rocker breaking showing small hole in forging.
IMG_7305.jpg
This is latest breakage. Note this is the above rocker with hole in it
IMG_7306.jpg
These are latest snappage
IMG_7310.jpg
IMG_7310.jpg
IMG_7309.jpg
IMG_7310.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66brm

Re: Breaking rocker arms

Post by 66brm »

I would show these pics to cb, you should get some replacement rockers for nada. Definitely a machining issue causing a weakness there and also a lubrication problem for the rocker
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

First thing to check is oil delivery through the pushrod. Even a few seconds of no oil will seize the rocker.

A floating bit of sealant can block a pushrod.

If the pushrod checks out okay -- free flowing -- then it is probably exactly what it looks like, a badly machined rocker.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

First thing to check is oil delivery through the pushrod. Even a few seconds of no oil will seize the rocker.

A floating bit of sealant can block a pushrod.

If the pushrod checks out okay -- free flowing -- then it is probably exactly what it looks like, a badly machined rocker.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Try giving it a little more shim clearance also. My friend's ghia was OK in low revs, when he stomped it and brought it up past 5,000 we had a problem of the rockers coming off though. We shimmed it a hair more and haven't had a problem since then.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

All the side clearance in the world won't save a rocker with all its oil pumping into the rocker cover rather than the bushing
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

I have seen shallow spiral cuts machined on rocker shafts (old school tricks) intended to aid oil flow. I have no direct knowledge if this weakened the shafts or not. The spiral cut guys also cut (notched, really) lifters to increase oiling.

Some even drilled the engine case main oil gallery larger. I was a bit skeptical about that, because the case top oil in/out holes for the cooler are the ultimate bottleneck in the VW oil system.

FJC
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

Question is, do you actually need the CB 650 springs for your application? These springs add loads of stress to the valve train.

I tried the CB 650 springs years ago on my circuit racer (my old springs were deemed too soft by the professionals for 8000rpm), first event out it broke a rocker. Changed back to the normal CB dual springs and never looked back.
VW Beetle 1303 EJ20T Subarugears Circuit Racer
VW Beetle 2332cc 200hp N/A Circuit Racer
VW Beetle 1969 2666cc Turbo Road Toy
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

I bet that when you pull the head off, you find a bent valve and collision damage to the piston.