FJ Camper, a question for you, Accusump

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Buggsy

FJ Camper, a question for you, Accusump

Post by Buggsy »

FJ Camper: What is your opinion of Accusump being used on VW engines? What is the general consensus on these units with the road racing and autocross crowd?
FJCamper

Re: FJ Camper, a question for you, Accusump

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Buggsy,

Accusumps have a good reputation and kept many a 356 and 912 Porsche racer going back in the day.

Now, this is not a case of do as I say, not do as I do. I personally have never used an Accusump on my own cars. Here's my own reasoning.

A good deep sump is so effective at such a low cost, it's hard to justify an Accusump for a racer on a budget. And, Accusumps are not foolproof or absolutely reliable. It's rare, but the Accusump valve systems can fail, and it does take time to refill the oil bottle between corners.

Savvy air-cooled engine users tended to use the smaller oil bottles. They usually had enough capacity to boost pressure when needed and recharged faster.

Now, all that said, every oil pressure aid has it's own problems. Deep sumps cut ground clearance. Dry sumps are very expensive and complex.

Deep sumps do not dererate the oil like a good deep sump so you get foam as well as oil once the oil has really foamed up. At a slalom, foam is not as much a threat as road racing.

FJC