Considering changing cams and looking for input.

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
cwdaniel

Considering changing cams and looking for input.

Post by cwdaniel »

1st the engine details: 2275/76, 94mm bore, 82mm stroke, .08 deck shims around 9:1 compression with 55cc CB 42/37.5 heads, Engle TCS10 Cam, Dual IDF 44’s I built this several years ago for use in a sandrail. The thinking was it would get a turbo eventually, but never got around to it. It runs strong as is.

Had a valve and piston conflict and now have it down for repairs and refresh. The lifters have some pitting probably due to not knowing about the zinc problem early on. So thinking about a new cam.

What I would like is to get a little more low end out of it and still be turbo ready when the time comes.

Possible?
Buggsy

Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input.

Post by Buggsy »

Hi CWDaniel, My engine is nearly identical to yours, except mine is 2332, and blowing through Kadrons. I use an Engle W100 on 114 lobe centers, which would perform pretty much just like your TCS10. My engine makes 232 foot pounds of torque at the wheels at 3600 rpm on just eight pounds of boost. That is a bunch of torque in a light car. That is when the wastegate opens and it makes 159 horsepower at the wheels at 3800 rpm and flatlines there to 4900 rpm, which is where the rev limiter cuts it. Once you go turbo, I think you will have more than enough low end torque. If you need more torque below 3500, I'd say your not running enough initial ignition advance, or have something else amiss.