2.1 WBX crank in a type 1 case

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
63busguy

2.1 WBX crank in a type 1 case

Post by 63busguy »

Its been a while and looks like things have changed a bit around here. Ive tried searching as I remember a post about dropping a 2.1 crank into a type 1 case but cant seem to be using the right search terms to find it.

From what I can remember there were two ways to do it.

-Use a BMW conversion bearing and machine the case for standard vanagon thrust plates and related components

or

-Machine the case for Type 4 #1 bearing and seal

Im thinking of a TW 92x76 2021cc for a bay and am looking for more specifics like bearing part numbers and part lists. Not sure what seal the BMW bearing would use or what thrust plates, shims etc are needed. What else is needed for the type 4 bearing setup? Machining, bearing, seal and type 4 shims? Im guessing the WBX flywheel and stock clutch is the best solution.

If there are any good existing threads that the admins know of please post them up. I would like to hear from anyone who had done this mod and see what they liked or disliked about the way they went about it.

Appreciate it.
sideshow

Re: 2.1 WBX crank in a type 1 case

Post by sideshow »

Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.