lets talk clutches...

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
dragvw2180

Re: lets talk clutches...

Post by dragvw2180 »

Tell Ron I said Hey . When you get your clutch setup contact me and I will show you my electronic setup to make it work even better. Mike McCarthy
wankelbug

Post by wankelbug »

dragvw2180 wrote:Tell Ron I said Hey . When you get your clutch setup contact me and I will show you my electronic setup to make it work even better. Mike McCarthy

Awesome. Talked to Ron today. Going to be furnishing him with the info on my car tomorrow and sending him a pile of $100 bills. Ok. Just 14 of em. Hope to have the clutch in a week. Also going to upgrade the cable and the pedal.
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

Do you have a flange crank , wedgemated ? If it is flanged it comes with new flywheel , I had to send in my wedgemated unit to be fitted . Mike
maurice

Post by maurice »

Not to highjack, but does anyone have experience with the ace copperhead disc? Or the gene berg super street?

I'm running the same stage 2 with daikin HD disc with my Subaru motor, and the upcoming tune is going to raise the power quite a bit. The daikin clutch is nice until it's glazed a bit, then it's not happy at all (sanding fixes it easily, but who wants to pull a motor every couple weeks when you screw around too much).

I'm debating going with a puck style and back to a stage 1pp, or whatever else is recommended...?

Again, sorry to highjack but I'm pretty much in the same situation (though I'll be around 50% street 50% race)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I just did a quick search on 6-puck vs. 4-puck. As I said before I use on the sand but, again, the 4-puck is not advised for the street. The 6-puck is not quite as aggressive when engaging as the 4-puck but it was also felt that you needed a stronger PP/clutch cover with the 6-puck disc. It was also felt that the 6-puck clutch disc wore out faster than a more traditional solid face disc would.

For what it is worth.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

I've never used the Ace Copperhead but it looks a lot like a Black Magic which is a very heavy disc. I did not like the Black Magic at all. Kills syncros and lots of missed 1-2 shifts.
I have a Kennedy 6 puck in it now but we don't think it will hold as well as a 4 puck. Haven't had any good hits on it yet. The best combo we have found for me so far has been a stage 1 and Kennedy 4 puck. I would also make sure it's a genuine Kennedy disc, I tried both Scat and Empi 4 pucks and both wouldn't hold. Put a Kennedy in and boom, instant hold.
wankelbug

Post by wankelbug »

dragvw2180 wrote:Do you have a flange crank , wedgemated ? If it is flanged it comes with new flywheel , I had to send in my wedgemated unit to be fitted . Mike

i dont even have a crank. i have an eccentric shaft, lol its a rotary swap.

i am going to be using the earlier style rev 6 that attaches a friction surface to the flywheel
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

LOL , for those who have not seen the clutch package we are talking about here is what it looks like.
It is a slipper clutch with centrifical weights to help it lock upmade by Ron Lummis Racing . My original flywheel was wedgemated so Ron cut the center out and mated my hub to this flywheel.It has the insert you were talking about. Mike