Disabling Weber 44 IDF Cold Start System

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

For cold weather climates, Weber provided a cold start system on some of its carbs that most of us in the USA ignore, or are unaware of completely. If you have a Weber 40, 44, or 48 , all you see is a block-off plate.

Sometimes, during a carb-top removal, the spring-loaded plungers pop out, and if you're lucky, you can find the springs and tiny retainer washers and reassemble the plungers. Good luck on finding a diagram showing how to reassemble it right. Most common Weber diagrams ignore the cold start system.

"Racing" Webers since the 1960's were delivered with a block-off plate over the cold start system, but that does not mean the system is disabled. The plate covers what was a cable-controlled lever device that lifted the spring-loaded enrichment plungers and allowed some extra fuel to flow to exit holes in the base of the carb under the throttle plate. There is actually a fuel jet, an air jet, and an emulsion tube inside each cold start system.

The trouble is, even sealed off, the cold start system can go bad.

One or both plungers can lift and begin to leak gas down the manifold, and you'll find you cannot get your idle leaned out, no matter which way you turn your adjustment screws or curse Eduardo Weber, his family, and his dog.

The permanent fix is to remove the plungers, and tap the plunger bore to about half its depth. A 3/8-24 tap works almost perfectly. Drop the plungers back in the bore, and lock them down with a set screw. The fully depressed plunger will seal off fuel leakage at the base.

Now, your idle mixture adjustments will work
Paul H

Re: Disabling Weber 44 IDF Cold Start System

Post by Paul H »

I remember that circuitry now I used to modify it to inject nitrous oxide and fuel, had some ally blocks made that bolted on and some blanks that sealed where the plungers fit
Real parts=Real Performance-Get Real
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance (Plato).
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

this is what I need to do, cause I can't find my little piece that popped out. Even the warehouses selling Webers won't answer me on trying to locate replacement pieces. And it seems as though 1 of my idle mixture screws wouldn't do anything when trying to set them
Marc

Post by Marc »

mlrailguy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 pm...it seems as though 1 of my idle mixture screws wouldn't do anything when trying to set them
IDFs are notorious for the air passages for the idle circuit getting plugged up - even with good aircleaners, once in a while a bit of crud gets through and the first place it goes is off to one of the corners of the carb top where those air holes are. Usually all you need to do is remove the idle jets (don't lose the O-rings) and blow some compressed air into their holes to push the obstruction out the top.
"Jet Doctors" (little snorkels that go into the air holes to raise the intake point above where the dirt collects) are the remedy, when you get tired of this ritual.

http://www.cbperformance.com/Articles.asp?ID=266