Cheap GPS Speedometer

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

Cheap GPS Speedometer

Post by FJCamper »

Cheap GPS Digital Speedometer

Not to be confused with full sized GPS speedometers -- which cost a lot more -- these are inexpensive (typically about $50 US) digital readout speedos.

Some people buy them to replace a broken speedo, or to know their actual road speed after a tire diameter change. We bought this one off Amazon to use in our sprint-race Ghia as a second opinion on our calculated tire sizes & gear ratios. It does require the selection of a few options.

This model is the Kingneed C60, very similar to others in its price class, and features an auto-brightness projected HUD (heads up display) option as well as the more prosaic ability to read directly off the LED screen. It has lots of other features, such as KPH or MPH display.

The display also shows elapsed driving time (from power on) and has a speed alarm preset. For instance, you might preset to warn if you exceed 70 MPH if using this on the street.

There is no calibration. Just plug it into a USB charger such as the kind that sticks into a cigarette lighter, Velcro to your dash, and the device will detect the satellite signals in about 60 to 90 seconds. We got detection in under a minute.

The instructions warn the operating temps are up to 70 C. (194° F). that error is between 1 to 5 % at a steady speed, and bad weather can affect operation. Testing on a rainy day at various road speeds, we had no satellite connection problems, but did notice accuracy was erratic at speeds below 15 MPH.

FJC
ps2375

Re: Cheap GPS Speedometer

Post by ps2375 »

Awesome! A better fix than trying to replace my 30+ yr old VDO Cockpit unit that varies from 5 to 25mph high, depending upon how fast I'm going.
Last edited by ps2375 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hmmm ... Analog???
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

They're on sale right now on Amazon, but they don't do paypal... :(
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I did do a search and found some analog GPSs. Big ??? though! Most had odos but I did find one for under a 100 dollars and it did not have a odo. An odo on the sand would be interesting but not necessary ... unless I had a kid and my buggy was taken out for a ride with out my permission :wink: .
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

There is a cheaper option if you already have an android phone, the app is called "speed" it does a digital output, that you can reverse and then lay your phone down flat for a heads up display on your windshield. :) I use it all the time in my non vw bug vehicles, its completely free and only permissions it requires is GPS, so make sure you download the correct one. :)
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Mine arrived today, $38 via Amazon Prime. Prolly velcro it to the dash and not even worry about the HUD function. It's a little larger than I anticipated, but when the weather warms up above the teens, I'll see where I might mount it.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Had mine in the work van today, compared to the Garmin GPS, it tended to read 3 mph higher, sometimes 4 mph. The good news is that it will be waaaaay more accurate than my VDO speedo!
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Here is is mounted in the car.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

For "keeping an eye on those pesky kids" there are cheap headless GPS loggers that can be ~hidden esp if you have a glass trunk lid or such. Some have external antennae options.

They can be set to trigger logging over a certain speed, outside of a certain radius/area, or simply start logging when they power on and get a lock.

They can log at selectable frequencies up to 20Hz in some cases, and as low as once in hours..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Piledriver wrote:For "keeping an eye on those pesky kids" there are cheap headless GPS loggers that can be ~hidden esp if you have a glass trunk lid or such. Some have external antennae options.

They can be set to trigger logging over a certain speed, outside of a certain radius/area, or simply start logging when they power on and get a lock.

They can log at selectable frequencies up to 20Hz in some cases, and as low as once in hours..
Not sure where that came from, as there are no "pesky kids" to drive my car and this thread was only about the speedo display.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Went to the store today, and it is a very overcast day, the GPS took awhile to get a signal before it put up a speed. Kinda weird I thought.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

ps2375 wrote:
Piledriver wrote:For "keeping an eye on those pesky kids" there are cheap headless GPS loggers that can be ~hidden esp if you have a glass trunk lid or such. Some have external antennae options.

Not sure where that came from, as there are no "pesky kids" to drive my car and this thread was only about the speedo display.
I didn't quote you or respond to you...It was in response to ol'fogs comment on lack of odometer....
I probably should have quoted him initially but thought it pretty obvious
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I did do a search and found some analog GPSs. Big ??? though! Most had odos but I did find one for under a 100 dollars and it did not have a odo. An odo on the sand would be interesting but not necessary ... unless I had a kid and my buggy was taken out for a ride with out my permission :wink: .
Last edited by Piledriver on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Oh, OK.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Gentlemen,

Keep in mind this is a really inexpensive item. No doubt weather and accuracy can be iffy.

We just consider having one better than guessing.

FJC