Beetle 1303 Turbo circuit racer build thread

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
H2OSB

Re: Beetle 1303 Turbo circuit racer build thread

Post by H2OSB »

So I have a question for all of you considering installing R&P steering. Is there a reason for trying to source the rack from a non Super Beetle? Why not just use the R&P from a '75+ 1303 (that's Stateside...in Yurp, I think racks were installed from '74+). Is it simply because they're difficult to find? I ask because I picked one up recently so I could use the slightly longer tie rods with my normal steering box and 944 spindles (the wrecking yard guy wouldn't sell me just the tie rods because he said without the tie rods, the rack become useless...so I got the whole shabang for $100), but I always figured I'd eventually install the R&P in my car (a US spec '74 1303). Is there some issue with SB racks that makes them less desirable? BTW, the very first Passat (Dasher in the states) rack is identical to the Super Beetle except for the mounting points. Down to having many internal pieces with the same part numbers.
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/dasher-da-u ... track-rod/
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/vw-1200-130 ... ive-shaft/
That said, the Dasher is probably more rare than a '75 1303.
johnL (aka H2OSB)
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com
P.S. Sorry for the semi-thread-hyjack
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

AFAIK, the only thing wrong with a late 1303 rack is it's as rare as late 1303s.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

We have done quite a bit of work since the last update. Let the pictures do the talking...

VW Beetle 1303 EJ20T Subarugears Circuit Racer
VW Beetle 2332cc 200hp N/A Circuit Racer
VW Beetle 1969 2666cc Turbo Road Toy
fabo

Post by fabo »

She's going to be nice and stiff and get full use of suspension that's for sure...looking damn good..

Fabo..
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Looking great. If it's allowed in your class and you're looking for more downforce at the front you could cut some slots or holes in that lower front apron and vent them up and out through the hood like this. The guy with the green 911 just rolled his stock hood down.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ild-5.html

4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

Jadewombat wrote:Looking great. If it's allowed in your class and you're looking for more downforce at the front you could cut some slots or holes in that lower front apron and vent them up and out through the hood like this. The guy with the green 911 just rolled his stock hood down.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ild-5.html

we are going to run this car in the unlimited class... so anything goes. I've been thinking about adding a bonnet vent to aid the oil cooler flow. Just still unsure on exactly where to make the vent. I assume the higher up you can go the better...?
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Actually I looked around some more and this wouldn't work too well on a 1303 (or a bug). The exit airflow out of a mid-hood vent would disrupt the high pressure air across the hood and the base of the windshield making the airflow turbulent instead of laminar up and over the windshield, hood, rest of the car, etc.

The consensus seems to be it's better to smooth out the airflow where that curve of the hood and front fenders rolls back under the 1303 (right where the lower edge of the front hood meets the body and down) either by pushing the airflow further out to the sides past the turbulent air flow of the front wheels:

or an airdam which scoops up the air to join the airflow over the hood:

FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Our simplistic airdam, a panel of ABS plastic across the factory bumper, has been extremely effective. We can measure this by watching to see if the airdam robs RPM's on the straights. Our doesn't.

Also, the more holes you have up front the more drag you create. The yellow bug (62) above this post has a early pre-turbo Porsche RSR style airdam, which allows for a front-mounted oil cooler.

Front mounts get free cooling from direct air intake, no fan necessary, but are highly vulnerable in a front-end shunt.

FJC
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

Finally received the rear shock bolts. I had to get these made up to fit the GAZ shocks. The porsche tailing arms use a m14 bolt and the shocks are 1/2", so had to get an adapter made up.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The 944 folks running coil overs run aftermarket, pure unobtainium 14mm bolts there, the stock ones at least tend to snap off used that way. Using the torsions and using the coil overs for fine tuning mitigates that.
OTOH those cars are usually a LOT heavier.

I'd suggest a bit more research, consider modding the lower heim joint first.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

There is no heim joints available for these shocks to use a 14mm bolt, I have checked that before making the bolts. The bolts have been made from the same kind of material as what they use for big cannon barrels. Cant remember what they call it. It's super strong and is not brittle, so should not snap off
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

Got the body shell 99% dent free and primed. Some small areas that still need attention. Finished the roll cage cross brace and started fabbing the firewall. Also looking into placment of the charge cooler, will have to see how much space we have once the enigne / turbo is back in.

fabo

Post by fabo »

Looks really good Louis.what colour are you going
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

A race car can only be red. :lol: