Looking for dry sump tank info

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
turbobaja

Re: Looking for dry sump tank info

Post by turbobaja »

I initially tried running with 6qts in the system (total) and found that with rpm and hard right corners, I was able to expose the tank outlet (on the bottom right side of the tank as installed on my Baja) and get the dreaded low oil pressure light to come on for 1-2 seconds before re-prime/pressure returned. Tank being "high" on the firewall helps to prime with gravity, but I've been running over 8qts since and had no signs of pressure problems whatsoever.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
H_Aich

Post by H_Aich »

dry sump tank VW 1303S
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Our original 3-gallon box-shaped oil tank in our LeMons/Chump Super Bug was hollow with the exception of a stack of
horizontal baffle plates. The tank did sit low and required no oil shut off to prevent drainback.

It worked reasonably well except for when the oil level in the tank dropped, such as filling of the valve covers,
which was a close difference between 2.5 gallons and 2.8 gallons. At speed, we got oil warning lights as the G-forces
sloshed oil and foam around inside away from the pickup. Our tank was actually made for short circle tracks, where
the pickup would always have been outside right, and centrifugal force would have helped.

So, we had a friend of ours weld in some baffles, doors, and pickup pipes. Problem solved.

Next, we had to fit our HSR Ghia with an oil tank, and picked a squat little 3-gallon circular tank, and we mounted it on the floor
just behind the passenger seat location. The oil pump to tank oil-out line is level, so no drain back problem.

The Ghia tank works as well if not better than the square tank.

FJC
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

FJCamper wrote:So, we had a friend of ours weld in some baffles, doors, and pickup pipes. Problem solved.

FJC
The baffles with the flapper doors are a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I may have to incorporate in that into my tank.