Mystery camshaft identification help needed

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Marc

Mystery camshaft identification help needed

Post by Marc »

I just uncovered a box of Type I camshafts left over when our shop closed up about thirty years ago. Many of them have only cryptic markings (if any) so it's gonna take me days to go through the tedious process of plotting them. I've done internet searches and managed to ID a few, but have had no luck with the ones listed below - hoping someone can help me out with a clue on any of them to save a little time.
I've taken quick & dirty lobe lift measurements w/calipers (typically the true lift is slightly higher than the readings gotten with this method, but it could be helpful).

"02" .355"
"54" .385"
"1101 P" .399"
"274" (ground on OEM billet) .370"
"V" (very fat lobes, clearanced for stroker crank) .416"

Also have a couple of Delta D-10 regrinds - I queried Delta for the specs but haven't received any response...IIRC these are similar to the Engle W-100, can anyone confirm that?

There's a Web regrind (electro-engraved markings are jibberish, looks sorta like "SH") that plots out close to stock, but with 106.5° LSA; ~.315" lift w/1.1s, 216/218° @.050" ....looks like it'd be good for a stockish bus/baja 1600.

I'm looking for the best choice (from what I already own) for an 88x76 mild-head Regular gas motor for my trike, which is for now limited to a single carb due to frame clearance issues with duals. I'm guessing that the 34DMTR Weber from an 1800cc Alfa-Romeo will be sufficient for the 1849 - looking for max torque below 4000 without resorting to a Web 111 clacker. I've plotted an N.O.S. Treuhaft marked "J" - it comes out at 234°@/.050", ~.370" w/1.1 rockers...expect it to be similar to a Web 86, but with more lift - it's on 106.5° LSA with 5½° advance built in, I'll probably be going with that one unless I find something tastier.

Anyone need a near-new Web 121 on 102° LSA? :wink: ...I'd try that but I think the fuel economy would suck.