How To Install A Quick Release Steering Wheel

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

How To Install A Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by FJCamper »

Not everything written here is applicable to all quick release wheels. We're showing the 3-bolt Grant kit because it is
so commonly used in VW applications.

How, Why, & Why Not, To Install A Quick Release Steering Wheel

Quick release steering wheels look cool. All nice and racy. Push a button and off comes the wheel, allowing you to pull
sophomoric tricks on your passenger such as when you cruise slowly across the parking lot, casually say "Take the wheel
for me, please" and physically hand him the wheel.

Of course, the main reason you would want a quick-release wheel is racing. Steering wheels get in the way of quick exits.
Being able to pop off the wheel and toss it like a Frisbee as you escape a flaming wreck is a big plus.

Another reason to want a quick-release wheel is to be able to conveniently remove the wheel when you're working on your
dash. What a sense of freedom as you can lean under the dash, or have direct hands-on access to the instrument panel.

Last but not least, a removable steering wheel is a great anti-theft device.

However, the downside of a quick release wheel is you do away with your horn button and usually your collapsible steering
wheel section.

This 3-bolt quick-release adapter is not a Grant part, and is available though Pacific Customs.

The quick release adapter comes in two parts, the male half that bolts to the Grant adapter, and the female half that
bolts to the wheel itself. The female adapter has the release button.

The collapsible hub section of an aftermarket steering wheel greatly softens the blow your chest or face might receive in an
head-on accident. A tip, if buying an aftermarket wheel is to get one with a good soft, padded rim. If you ever face-slam your
head into the rim of a soft steering wheel in a crash, you'll thank you for being so smart.

VW began using collapsible steering columns in 1968. The old style solid steering shaft used by VW (and Corvair, among
other makes) had a tendency to try and spear the driver if the front axle beam folded up and pushed the shaft rearward.

The female half of the adapter bolts to the wheel itself.

FJC
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: How To Install A Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

When asking around about the quick release adapters in the off-road community I was advised, if I could afford it, to use the splined version rather than the octagonal unit; the octagonal unit can wear quickly if removed and reinstalled a lot plus it can get hammered to a loose fit in rough use. One of those decisions you have to make.

I bought, but have yet to install octagonal shaped unit mainly because of the price... it was cheaper and I am old. :lol: I think I am going to have to remount the steering a bit so I have held off on welding it onto the steering shaft.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Fog,

We've been using this hex assembly system since 2011 on two different cars that see lots of remove-refit wear, and so far we're okay.

The hex assembly, brand new, isn't all that tight, so maybe our expectations are low.

All I can tell you is yes, the splined types probably feel better, and the hex can rattle a bit like a service 45 auto pistol, but it gets the job done.

FJC
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

As I said, this was off-roaders talking. You guys work your cars hard but so do we (I broke two steering boxes in one day out on the dunes and I am not a person who pushes the limits even a bit. You never should ride fast on the dunes at mid-day as there are no shadows to show the terrain... it usually looks pretty flat at that time.

Lee