Sports and saloons, Turbo bug first event (Circuit Racing)

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
4agedub

Sports and saloons, Turbo bug first event (Circuit Racing)

Post by 4agedub »

So we decided to enter the turbo bug in it's first race weekend. After a couple of test/tune events we felt comfortable enough to take it out and do a sprint race.

On Friday I was worried about the ambient temperatures as we currently have a heatwave coming across South Africa, but on Saturday morning it was overcast and the ambient temperatures have dropped from 34'c (93.2'f) to around 25'c (77'f).

Qualifying went pretty well, did one warm up lap, one lap with traffic and the third lap was clean. As soon as I saw the lap time I knew it was good enough for the race and circulated back to the pits to save the tyres. Lap time 1:12,6, 8th overall on the grid and 3rd in class B.

Race 1, Lined up and went around for the running start. My plan was to run high boost on the start, 10psi and then switch back to low boost 7psi once I'm out the serious traffic. Up to turn 2 it was so bunched up that the high boost did not help much... but from turn 2 to turn 4 was awesome. Pulled about 4 cars on the turbo mini and passed the 330i bmw around the outside of turn 3.

Man it's nice to have torque. Lol. I'm normally on the receiving end of this trick when we race the n/a car. (BTW, that Honda is running a K24 turboed engine). Started in 8th overall and got up to 4th overall.

From there it was pretty boring, I could not really get away from the 330i bmw, but had enough to stay in front (I still could use high boost if needed).... until... on the exit of turn 4 the one drive shaft broke. It almost caught me out big time. Thank you lock diff. I managed to get the car back to the pits and had to retire.

The oil temperature went up to 82'c (180.6'f) max and egt 720'c (1328'f) max. So the temperatures seem pretty good. The intake air temp after the inter cooler might need a little work, I saw just over 60'c (140'f) there. But otherwise engine side all is fine. I've already got a pretty big inter cooler with water sprayers... so water / meth injection might be the next thing to do.

I still had an awesome time. It's so different racing against expensive new generation cars... I'll be back. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1uh88PzvbY
VW Beetle 1303 EJ20T Subarugears Circuit Racer
VW Beetle 2332cc 200hp N/A Circuit Racer
VW Beetle 1969 2666cc Turbo Road Toy
4agedub

Re: Sports and saloons, Turbo bug first event (Circuit Racin

Post by 4agedub »

H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Awesome none the less!

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

Excellent,none the less.Congrats.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What axles were you running?
4agedub

Post by 4agedub »

It's a swing axle chassis with stock axles and a locked diff. I have not stripped it yet, so dont know exactly where it broke