Stock exhaust

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
videoguy009

Stock exhaust

Post by videoguy009 »

I bought a stock dual muffler for my Thing.My setup is as follows
110 cam
35x40 ports no head work
1.1 lifters
40mm hpmx centermount carb
69mm c/w crank
019 bosch dist
Gas heater

The car runs good and is not restrictive on the top end.I was thinking of dual 40mm hpmx carbs to give me better gas flow for each cylinder and I hear the 110 cam will like this.The center mount is a bit iffy in this respect.Will my car run the same except for a little more torque and hp.Do you think the exhaust I have will work with this setup where it worked good with the center mount?I know it my be a little restrictive but the car is used as a daily driver mostly around town.BTW I had a thing shop header on it and it was too loud for my liking.I really don't notice any difference in performance between the two.
madmike

Re: Stock exhaust

Post by madmike »

To bad u can't fit a 'True Merged' Header on it,, stock muff. is going to restrict it alot with dual hpmx's,, but try it,since u don't like noise,LOL
videoguy009

Post by videoguy009 »

I bought the Vintage Speed SS Thing exhaust.A little pricey but very well made and looks real nice.The piping is 1 3/8 so there should be no restriction now.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

I'd love to make a stock muffler and just increase all the sizes an equal amount, would be suited to. Bigger engine and may even keep the fweeeeum??!
Limiting factors are I don't own or know how to use a welder lol
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Videoguy009,

I didn't realize your carb idle problem was because of a centermount setup. I was thinking dual Webers.

For a Type 181 daily driver set up as yours is, I highly recommend Kadrons, which as you know are really Solexes.

Kads are as close to set and forget as carbs come, and you could use the standard 28mm venturis they come with. No hot rodding necessary. Honestly, if you want to drive instead of tune, run Kads ... just a basic set of 40mm throttle body, 28mm venturi Kads.

The 40mm HPMX's (Weber 40 clones) are better with bigger valves and some headwork.

The best Kad guy out there is Jeff Lain at the Kaddie Shack. -- FJC
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

videoguy009 wrote:I bought the Vintage Speed SS Thing exhaust.A little pricey but very well made and looks real nice.The piping is 1 3/8 so there should be no restriction now.
The trouble with these systems is the pairing is all wrong at 1/2, 3/4.

The VW factory new what they were doing, remember Porsche Salzburg used the stock system on the Weber 46 equipped 1600cc motors for 120 plus hp, the stock tail pipes are a restriction, they used jumbo tail pipes.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

buildabiggerboxer wrote:
videoguy009 wrote:I bought the Vintage Speed SS Thing exhaust.A little pricey but very well made and looks real nice.The piping is 1 3/8 so there should be no restriction now.

The VW factory new what they were doing, remember Porsche Salzburg used the stock system on the Weber 46 equipped 1600cc motors for 120 plus hp, the stock tail pipes are a restriction, they used jumbo tail pipes.
Where they gutted stock silencers, no baffle plates and straight through big bore shooters?
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

andy198712 wrote:
buildabiggerboxer wrote:

Where they gutted stock silencers, no baffle plates and straight through big bore shooters?
Just the cones at the tailpipe outlets opened out, factory ones, and Liestritz Aftermarket version are (were) just folded, not sure about Todays copy cats construction, could stick a drill in there, taper tips these days are probably closest to Jumbo's, CSP may still do them.