Wanted. All VW Dragsters!

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
6 second vw

Post by 6 second vw »

Just recently talked to Jim Skelly,the big cheese for NHRA sports compact series.I asked him about the creation for a Top Alcohol Dragster class or Funny Car class in NHRA Sports Compact Drag series. Jim said that they at NHRA are totally open to such a class, as long as there are atleast 6 to 8 drasters or funny cars, at every event. With that said, what ever happened to the likes of; Dave Folts,Tom Shuh,Bombright & Haire,Bob Godfrey,Roger Tannenbaum,Bill Rathbun,Steve Foster,Dave Perkins,Dave Pickering,Don Cossey and who ever else that i forgot to mention (sorry guys). Also, What about all these Big name import racers,dont none of them think about building a potential high 5 to high 6 second bullet?. The point is that NHRA is open to this idea, and with all these mentioned racers,as well as those so called forgotened or "no named" guys out there, just us VW dragsters/funnycars could start this class.Theres HUGE MONEY that could come about this, and since turbo alcohol dragsters has been around for two decades, at the least,we are one up on R&D over anyone else,to say the least.At the very least, it would be alot more fun to go to a race and see more "TOP FUEL" imports/vw dragsters/funny cars then us(Quarterflash 2K),VW Paradise, The Eserini's, and Ken Fisher.
east coast

Post by east coast »

Hell I say but the Dragsters and Floppers (funny cars) in the same damn class and make it really interesting! I know most VW guys won't complain if a dragster has to race a funny car.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I think it would be awsome!
Godfrey is racing a Fuel Altered now (Rodeck V8). He does match racing and runs the Nostalgia circuit. Come on out guys. I will support you.

------------------
Marty Staggs
www.staggsracing.com
Searoy

Post by Searoy »

Damn, now I have to build a dragster too?

But I'll warn you, the NHRA Sport Compact series tends to be VW unfreindly, requiring stock Type 1 cases only, no matter which class.

And yet Jap cars can swap freely between models.

------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy

"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
6 second vw

Post by 6 second vw »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Searoy:
<B>Damn, now I have to build a dragster too?

But I'll warn you, the NHRA Sport Compact series tends to be VW unfreindly, requiring stock Type 1 cases only, no matter which class.

And yet Jap cars can swap freely between models.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I also mentioned to Jim Skelly about aftermarket blocks,because in top fuel as well as top alcohol, they use aftermarket blocks like TFX,Rodeck,etc.,and Jim stated that because it's dragster/funny car class,we most probably would be allowed aftermarket blocks.But on the other hand, you know how NHRA work sometimes.
Chris Andrews

Post by Chris Andrews »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 6 second vw:
what ever happened to the likes of; Dave Folts,Tom Shuh,Bombright & Haire,Bob Godfrey,Roger Tannenbaum,Bill Rathbun,Steve Foster,Dave Perkins,Dave Pickering,Don Cossey and who ever else that i forgot to mention (sorry guys).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let us not forget Cory Mac & his Ghia flopper. Perhaps w/ Cory's influence, NHRA is more apt to listen to the concerns of the Vee-Dub racers? Just my 2¢ worth.

BTW.... rumor has it that Don Cossey has passed away? Can anyone confirm this? Howabout a posting w/ an image of his headstone? Wishful thinking?
bajaman73

Re: Wanted. All VW Dragsters!

Post by bajaman73 »

My partner and I recently purchased Godfreys old race Ghia. Should see it soon on the local tracks (South/Central California)
1968 Ghia - Street Cruiser - 1600SP
1971 Ghia - Street/Strip - 1915 Dual IDF
1959 Ghia - Drag Only - 1915 Turbo