ARP bolts

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

ARP bolts

Post by FJCamper »

We recently lost an engine due to broken 5/16" rod bolts. They were cheap "ARP type" bolts sold by EMPI and have the headstamp PMS. We were not trying to use cheap bolts on a full race engine. But take one engine being worked on by two or more different mechanics, spread the assembly over a few weeks, and crap happens. It was our fault, but EMPI helped. We ordered ARP 2000 bolts and a plastic bag of bolts arrived. No one checked the headstamp. Some order-filler in California or wherever sent the wrong bolts (they do look alike) and we never properly checked.

We lost a 78mm stoker, with SCAT H-beam rods, 94mm aluminum cylinders and WiseCo pistons, not to mention a brand new aluminum race case.

Now, EMPI sells its own H-beams with (wink-wink) "ARP 2000" bolts. Got ARP 2000 stamped right on them. But, the headstsamp isn't the same as genuine, blister-packed ARP 2000 bolts.

Use genuine American Racing Products 2000 bolts. Not even the so-called EMPI ARP 2000.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: ARP bolts

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

FJCamper wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm We recently lost an engine due to broken 5/16" rod bolts. They were cheap "ARP type" bolts sold by EMPI and have the headstamp PMS. We were not trying to use cheap bolts on a full race engine. But take one engine being worked on by two or more different mechanics, spread the assembly over a few weeks, and crap happens. It was our fault, but EMPI helped. We ordered ARP 2000 bolts and a plastic bag of bolts arrived. No one checked the headstamp. Some order-filler in California or wherever sent the wrong bolts (they do look alike) and we never properly checked.

We lost a 78mm stoker, with SCAT H-beam rods, 94mm aluminum cylinders and WiseCo pistons, not to mention a brand new aluminum race case.

Now, EMPI sells its own H-beams with (wink-wink) "ARP 2000" bolts. Got ARP 2000 stamped right on them. But, the headstsamp isn't the same as genuine, blister-packed ARP 2000 bolts.

Use genuine American Racing Products 2000 bolts. Not even the so-called EMPI ARP 2000.
FJ, that is more or less what I was talking about when I was talking about the quality (mix) of material in crankshafts and other things earlier today. ARP, I thought, made their own bolts designed to exceeded the SAE/ANSI standards for grade 5 and 8 bolts (I suspect that they also do make grade 10.5 or Grade 12 fasteners). Not sure if they do Metric fasteners but it wouldn't surprise me as newer vehicles are now going metric.

ARP does have a video on their making of fasteners (not sure if they do more than nuts and bolts). If they are now using suppliers then I wonder if the normal predelivery testing is done and documented with the documents in delivery by the supplier. Where I worked it was a big deal and if the documentation wasn't there as airplanes were grounded until the documentation was received (the specs on this is very complicated). If they have lowered their standards I am very disappointed in hearing this. EMPI, I am guessing, does buy off the shelf items and lives with it :( .

Life gets more disappointing every day it seems as the trust from businesses gets poorer and poorer.

Lee