Stroker case clearancing

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
nsracing

Post by nsracing »

Buggsy wrote:Don't buy bits and a die grinder unless you have access to a professional size air compressor. The thirty gallon, one lungers that most of us use to run impact wrenches will burn up before you get the job done. Die grinders consume a huge amount of air.
You are NOt going to run the grinder all day long. You just need short bursts of spins. 30 second spins and check the cut....spins some more and check the cut.

I do not know anyone that runs the rotary file continously. :P

Here are more pics..

cam clearance..
VW Machinework/Balance
Lineboring, Flywheel grinding
PM me.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

madmike wrote:Did a mock up 1001 times still hits on #2&4 pis BTD this bites :twisted:
Just check that its not the piston hitting the opposite ned of the rod. I had to do a lot of work when I made my 84 rotate with the 5.325" short rods!!! It took a while to figure out it wanst the case I was hitting!!! The pistons and rods needed working... I got pics of the rods on my very old site
madmike

Post by madmike »

althrough it took me six months to build $ :oops: $my 2332 is running :lol: and no knox!!! on 93 octane!! :shock: can't wait to take it for a short spin. 8)
Niels-Erik

Post by Niels-Erik »

Iam about to make a 2332- and i love all your photos, but i have one minor problem! How du your clean everything after all the grinding?
And what about the bearrings-are they dry, or oiled durring the grinding?
Du i put somthing in she oil chanels? Or just a lot of air and solvent before the reasambling?
Sorry for my bad english-iam from Denmark!
Niels Erik
Dingleweed

Post by Dingleweed »

Niels-Erik wrote:Iam about to make a 2332- and i love all your photos, but i have one minor problem! How du your clean everything after all the grinding?
And what about the bearrings-are they dry, or oiled durring the grinding?
Du i put somthing in she oil chanels? Or just a lot of air and solvent before the reasambling?
Sorry for my bad english-iam from Denmark!
Niels Erik
I just clearanced my case myself with a die grinder and a dremmel. For the cleaning, I sprayed it down with the hose. Then I took the case halves to the car wash, sprayed them down with degreaser and then pressure cleaned everything with the high-pressure car wash hose. That worked really well. (you get reather wet with back spray and splatter... :wink: ) After I got it home, I blew everyting out with compressed air.
Niels-Erik

Post by Niels-Erik »

Thank you! What about the bearings?, do you use some old one while your grinding proces?, do you oil them?
Niels Erik
Dingleweed

Post by Dingleweed »

Niels-Erik wrote:Thank you! What about the bearings?, do you use some old one while your grinding proces?, do you oil them?
Niels Erik
I was very careful around the bearing saddles in the case while I was grinding. I didn't cover them with old bearings, but that is a very good idea. I was just very cautious around them. I would grind away, then I would very gently clean the saddle surfaces with an old tooth brush being careful that I was not pushing the chips into the surface of the saddles as I cleaned them. I very gently would push them off to the sides without pushing down on them.

Here's a pic of the rig I was using while grinding:

Not the prettiest setup, but effective. I had a box right under the case half on the engine stand to catch bigger chips that fell, and then I had a shop vacuum hose right in the area I was grinding. The vacuum sucked up the vast majority of chips.

I'd mock up the crank, see where the case needed clearancing next, grind away, clean, mock the crank, etc. It was very redundant. But with a lot of patience and frequent sanity break it took me two mornings over a weekend.
Niels-Erik

Post by Niels-Erik »

Thanks agin! Do you use your engine in the buggy on the photo?
My engine is beeing made for mine- You can se it by clikking on the link under my name
Niels Erik
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hello Niels,Your English is probaly better than mine,No oil on the bearings and i only installed the two on the ends for mockup but put on all the rods and pistons on the crank, set the flywheel on the bench and stand the crank on it ,make sure the pistons clear the oposing rodend I had to grind mine.Then remove the pistons install the crank with the cam in the case and rotate, reinstall the piston and see if it hits,Do this about 50 times :lol:I hope you understand all this,just take your time,I'll try and keep a better eye on this tread,Glad Dingleweed did :wink: My 2332 is in a Buggy like yours 8) if i get traction I'll need Wheelie bars,Man It's fast!!!
Niels-Erik

Post by Niels-Erik »

Thank you! I cant wait to get startet.
Madmike: Do you have photos of your buggy with yoyr 2332 engine?
I will like to se it.
Niels Erik
Andy K

Post by Andy K »

Hi,

I have just started clearancing my case to fit my 82mm CB crank with CB 5.4 H beam rods. I have got to the stage where there is room to rotate the crank and rods, how much clearance between the case and rod do I need. Is just enough to rotate all I need or do I need to allow for a specific gap.

Also as I am using an 82mm crank will the rods be likely to hit the cam or pistons.

Finally how far do you guys mock up the engine for the clearancing, do you install the cam, bolt up the case and bolt on the barrels and pistons.

Sorry if some of these questions are stupid but this is my first stroker motor.

Thanks
Andy
TeStBuD

Post by TeStBuD »

Yea my 2332 was tight. Had to cut the cam a little.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hi Andy & Niels,0.40 clearance will be good,My Buggy/engine pic's are on www.theSamba.com site in the racing Gallery.They are NOT stuipd ????"s Yes u have to mockup both sides with the cam,one at a time worked for me,then when I thought I had enuff clearance,bolt the case together and see if anything hits,if not your lucky :wink: try a piston&cyl. and rotate,just like your building it,I even bolted down the cyl's. and checked,Have fun guys :lol:
Andy K

Post by Andy K »

Thanks for the replys, I am getting there with the case now.
gblakeney

Post by gblakeney »

Any pictures Andy?

I am doing this over the Thanksgiving week - and even though I guess I could pay RIMCO to do it I'd prefer to do it myself for the 'sperience! :wink:

I am gonna run a SCAT 78.8, 94mm B pistons and probably 5.5 CB race rods.