IF YOU WANT MORE HEAT IN YOUR BUS ....... THIS WORKS !

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
rimspoke

IF YOU WANT MORE HEAT IN YOUR BUS ....... THIS WORKS !

Post by rimspoke »

I BUILT WHAT I CALL A TWO STAGE HEATER A FEW YEARS AGO .
MY BUS HAS A DUAL PORT TYPE 1 ENGINE AND IT WORKS LIKE THIS :
I CUT A HOLE IN THE SHROUD ON THE EXHAUST SIDE OF THE OIL COOLER ( THE REMOVEABLE PART ) I WELDED A BOX ONTO IT WITH TWO TUBES THAT FIT STANDARD HEATER HOSES . ONE TUBE FACES REARWARD & THE OTHER FACES RIGHT . THE TWO TUBES CONNECT
TO THE HEAT EXCHANGERS WITH INLINE FANS .
( MY SHROUD DOES NOT HAVE THE STOCK HEATER OUTLETS )
THE AIR COMING FROM THE OIL COOLER IS CLEAN & WARM .
THE FANS FORCE THE WARM AIR THROUGH THE HEAT EXCHANGERS
SO IT IS HEATED TWICE .
THE HEAT AND DEFROST IN MY CREWCAB WORKS GREAT . I ALSO REINSULATED EVERY TUBE IN THE SYSTEM TO PREVENT HEAT LOSS .
I TOOK PICTURES AND MADE DIAGRAMS OF THE TWO-STAGE SYSTEM
FOR HOT VW's AND MAILED THEM OFF TO OBLIVION .
Greggyboy

Post by Greggyboy »

You should post them here as well. I would like to see them.
rimspoke

I AM NOT SURE HOW TO POST PICTURES .

Post by rimspoke »

I AM NOT SURE HOW TO POST PICTURES .
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

What do you mean by heat exchangers? You mean a pair of "coils"? So...how are you compensating for the frictional loss of say...100+ extra inches of oil line? Just wondering. You have to be careful. How far does it drop your pressure? Ray
ANT

Post by ANT »

raygreenwood wrote:What do you mean by heat exchangers? You mean a pair of "coils"? So...how are you compensating for the frictional loss of say...100+ extra inches of oil line? Just wondering. You have to be careful. How far does it drop your pressure? Ray
Ray, you probably know this......what's that form factor of pressure loss for every bend in a conduit? You know what I'm getting at.

Remember those god awful flexible exhaust pipe that JC Sh1tney sells? They actually reduce flow due to all the turbulence inside of them because of the shape.
-ANT
rimspoke

THIS IS A SELF CONTAINED UNIT . THERE IS NO EXTRA 100 INCHES

Post by rimspoke »

THERE IS NO EXTRA 100 INCHES OF ANYTHING .
THE HEAT EXCHANGERS ARE PART OF THE EXHAUST SYSTEM .
THE OIL COOLER I AM USING IS A TYPE 4 UNIT BUT THIS CAN
WORK WITH A STOCK TYPE1 COOLER AS WELL .
ANT

Post by ANT »

Rimspoke, would you please turn off your caps lock? Writing in all capital letters is considered YELLING. See what I mean? It's also more difficult to read. Thanks.
-ANT
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

The best "boost" to the stock heater in a bus that I've found is to just seal up the engine compartment. The foam engine seal, if missing in T-4 powered busses will result in a HIGE loss of heating (and cooling) air. Replace that seal and you'll have a near hurricane coming out of the vents. Also check the adjustment of the heater controls. It's a good bet that after 25+ years, they are either not hooked up or way out of adjustment. Finally, check the engine lid seal. A leak here will draw air out of the engine compartment by vacuum when the bus is in motion.
A_67vdub

Post by A_67vdub »

I think it sounds like a great idea.

By some of your replies, it sounds like you're not getting it.

Normally, the heater boxes are fed from the cool side of the fan shroud. Basically, he's moving the heater hoses so the warm air that comes off of the oil cooler is what gets fed into the heater boxes, thereby making the warm air that comes out of the heater boxes even warmer.

Now, the fact that there is not as much pressure in this area (the oil cooler area) requires that extra fans be installed to keep the warm air velocity up.

That's the way I understood it.

Steve
rimspoke

YEAH , WHAT HE SAID .

Post by rimspoke »

THAT IS INDEED THE IDEA .
BY THE WAY , IT WILL GIVE SOME HEAT WITH THE FANS OFF .
( THERE IS AN OIL COOLER EXHAUST BLOCK-OFF
THAT IS ACCUATED BY THE LEFT HEAT EXCHANGER LEVER )
IT GIVES GOOD ALMOST AMERICAN CAR HEAT WHEN THE FANS ARE ON .
AS I SAID , IT IS SELF CONTAINED UNIT SO IT IS ALL ATTATCHED TO THE MOTOR . THIS CAN WORK IN BUGS & GHIAS AS WELL .
I PLAN TO BUILD ANOTHER WHEN I PUT MY GHIA TOGETHER .
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Ah...I see. So you have cut a hole in the "doghouse" section...and vented the exhaust heat into the heat exchangers. Good ingenuity...but I would bet, that the extra fans alone going over the heat exchangers are about the same. Block off the oil cooler air someday and measure the heat...let us know.
Its this way with the type 4, 411/412 as well. Without turning on the gasoline heater, if I turn on the auxiliary fan, not only does the volume ofwarm air go up...its temperature nearly doubles. This is because in the long heater channels, slow moving air loses heat faster.. Cool idea. Ray
drkoontz

Post by drkoontz »

CAPS ON

caps off

HOW HARD CAN IT BE ???

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
bottomend

Post by bottomend »

I kinda like the yellin'. It's like we're all at a board meeting and he's the old guy who's hearing aid keeps squeeeeeeling and doesn't know it.

""EH,SONNY!?... COULD 'YA SHUT THAT WINDOW OVER THERE BY YOU. I'M FEELING A DRAFT..."
rimspoke

NOT A MATTER OF HARD OR EASY

Post by rimspoke »

I AM KNOWN TO SOME AS CAPSBROKE ON OTHER BOARDS .
KIND OF MY SIGNATURE , I HAVE USED ALL CAPS FOR 35 YEARS .
I AM NOT YELLING , IT IS JUST MY WAY OF WRITING .
WHO CAME UP WITH THE YELLING THING ANYWAY ?
MY HEARING IS FINE THANKS , IF I STOP NOW THEY WILL THINK
I'M AN IMPOSTER !
drkoontz

Post by drkoontz »

than if you can post large i can post like this