3.2l porsche motor into a Bus!

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
turbo55555

Post by turbo55555 »

I'm looking for a VW Bus with a porsche 6 in it. I heard one of these rippin' around SoCal a while back. I must have one! Or I'll build it myself, any website recommendations or contacts?
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

There are a few running around. One was at Road Atlanta last week from FL.

A guy named Sammy D has a webpage on the conversion but I do not have the link anymore. He used a 2.2L 911 engine.

What year bus do you have? Register and join the fun Image

But I will tell you straight up that this is not an easy conversion or cheap. Minimum 5K for a mostly homedone job.

------------------
Adrian Pillow
'66 VW Westfalia - "Biscuit"
'67 VW Deluxe Westfakia - "Dino" - FS
'79 Porsche 911 SC - "Cochese"
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Sorry let me modify the estimate: 3.2L used in working condition 4-6K easy.

Now start adding for installation and metal work.

Earlier pre 3.0 engines will be cheaper.

------------------
Adrian Pillow
turbo55555

Post by turbo55555 »

I'll try to find that Fl. guy. I don't have a bus right now. I do have a 96 993 targa...so I'm already pretty well sticker shocked. I just feel a very spiritual connection to the rear engine air/oil cooled design. I need something to haul a lot of scuba equipment around. I was thinking about a new Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, but that's so typical around here. I'd prefer to do things differently. I hear the buses can be a little underpowered and I remember hearing that bus in SoCal a while back and watching it scoot....neat! I wouldn't mind building it but I know it would take a long time to do it myself. More realistically, it would probably be better to find one already done and just tweek it some.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

No torque where you need it.... I work on 911 engines too, and can tell you that unless you do cam work, you can kiss everything goodbye below 4K Rpm...and thats true in the 911, that is no where near as heavy as a bus...

If you need a rebuild on it one day, pricing starts at 10K.. and hope that you never need a crankshaft!

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
turbo55555

Post by turbo55555 »

So you say don't do a 911 engine? Other suggestions for a bus with gobs of power?
VWMICROBUS74

Post by VWMICROBUS74 »

Turbo

Personally I wouldn't use a flat six four that purpose and would speak to Jake.
But if you want me too wet you appetite check out the '73 westy on www.needforspeed.ca

good luck
VWMICROBUS74 Image
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

TIV all the way!!

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Turbo, are you in the southeast?

Give me a shout off-line at [email protected]

If you are serious about the GL split and near Atlanta come over and I can show you specifically what it takes to get it done. Figure a couple grand for the brakes and suspension (lowering it adds money of course).

Then the big question is motor choice, which is complex to address and depends on what you want to do.

------------------
Adrian Pillow
oor wullie

Post by oor wullie »

a guy i know in germany did this porky powered bay...
if the pic doesn't show you'll have to wait a day or 2, muchos is re-organizing.
stinkbus

Post by stinkbus »

I have ridden in a corvair powered bus a while back and that thing hauled some ass. Alot of torque and hp. Made for good mileage too...You can buy the whole kit to install it from Clark's Corvair for around $500 and you can pickup a good used motor for around $350 on ebay. Actually, there's a bus on the Samba classifieds right now for $500 with a corvair engine already installed. It runs but needs some work. Auto trans. white with Black interior.It's in Dallas,TX
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

orr wullie, can you tell me how he did the wheels on the bay window you posted above? Thanks and good luck. Bob Ingman
oor wullie

Post by oor wullie »

bob, i think he just bolted them on!
seriously tho', the back arches have been cut.
james

Post by james »

Get a front drive v8 caddy and put the entire assembly in the back. If you can weld up mounting points for the engine, tranny and strut moints, the donor car should be cheap. Plus you'll get a/c, etc. Wasn't there a website for someguy that did a bug that way? He litterally striped the front of the caddy and the back of the bug, shoved them together, cut the rest of the caddy off and boom! V8, rear engined bug. He had like $1500 in it, including both cars, and the decklid even closed!
Lavabo

Post by Lavabo »

The guy was in Canada and called Sami Dakhlia.

I never drove his westy with a porsche 6 cyl. conversion, but a friend tried and says it was awesome power!

The web page seems down, ill track it down and post it !!
mike