1700 rebuild

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
kevglorde

1700 rebuild

Post by kevglorde »

I'm almost ready to do a total rebuild on a '73 1700 engine in my bus. The case has an EA code so it's not what the bus came with originally. The heads are consistent with stock 1700 numbers. I brought everything to the machine shop to be cleaned and miked. It cost about 380$ for this and headwork on both heads and piston balancing. I have ordered a new webcam 73 w/matching lifters and have all new German bearings. I guess I'd like to know what to look out for from those who have some experience. I'm a little leery of having the oil passages tapped as I've already gone over budget. I cleaned them out and removed the valves and springs for cleaning. I know most hate progressives, but I've heard mixed reviews. Any hints on tuning one would also be appreciated. One more thing. People have made reference to the Wilson book and it's directions for installing the distributor shaft. Is there something I should know about this to avoid putting it in backwards? Thanks, Kevin
MASSIVE TYPE IV

1700 rebuild

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The engine is a 1.8 case...and should not be a bus case, should have an upright dipstick from a 411/914 application.

Invest in my video, 3 hours of how I do the job with indepth install of the dist drive pinion and distributor indexing.

Make the engine a 2.0 as 1.7 parts cost the same and are harder to find.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
kevglorde

1700 rebuild

Post by kevglorde »

Thanks for the reply. The stock crank is good as are the heads, cylinders and pistons, so I'm trying to keep it simple for my first rebuild. I asked for the video for father's day, but....I'm taking the overwhelming advice(here and elsewhere)and going with the Webcam and hope to end up with a solid stock engine. I just want to know any newbie stuff to look out for. Kevin
Bob Ingman

1700 rebuild

Post by Bob Ingman »

Kevin, the Bug Me Video Vol. #8 is still the best answer. It has all the newby-look-out-for-stuff in it.I know of nothing near it for a first time T-4 rebuild.I used Wilsons book in conjunction with the video. The book is handy to have at the workbench as a quick reference.
There are a lot of T-4 engines out there running around without the galleries tapped. I wo`nt say good or bad but since it was not covered for a stock rebuild on Jakes video I did`nt do it either.
You`re going to like your #73. Good stuff. Good luck. Bob Ingman

[This message has been edited by Bob Ingman (edited 08-03-2002).]
ray greenwood

1700 rebuild

Post by ray greenwood »

EA and EB cases were also late 411 and 412. It could have been either a 1.7 or 1.8 from one of those in early 412. The progressive is not really good for the type 4. It was orinally designed for inline water cooled 4 cyls. The holly 5200 series. The problem with them is the length of the manifolds on a type 4. They do not generate the proper vacume signatures needed to meter fuel through all the ranges. Even with re-jeting and changing venturies. There will always be a problem range. It will be a gas guzzler. If not...its running you lean somewhere. A portion of the problem...aside from the manifold length and diameter, was that the displacement of the water cooled engines were generally in the 2.2-2.5 liter range, which also generates a higher volume flow. What did this engine originally come with? Was it injected? It may not have been from a bus. Did the pistons have domes, flat tops or dish shaped tops. Domes would make it a 411/412/914 engine...flat tops possibly a bus or erly 411 (those were rare...I've only seen a few with flat tops that I knew were factory) dish would mean a carbed 411 (rare on this continent and doubtful that you have one)...or a bus. Ray
ray greenwood

1700 rebuild

Post by ray greenwood »

That would make it from a fuel injected 1.7L. It had to come from either a 411/412 or a 914 in general. Hmmm...actually...did the first year of type 4 bus come with an injected motor? Or was it carbed? Either way, it would not have been 8.2:1 compression, which is what the domes are for.That engine would have been 80-82 hp stock. Ray
kevglorde

1700 rebuild

Post by kevglorde »

OOps; I posted a reply under "rebuild advice". Thanks for the info. The pistons are domed(raised?). Kevin
kevglorde

1700 rebuild

Post by kevglorde »

Ray; are you saying I have the wrong(domed) pistons for my engine? My understanding is that the first type 4 buses came with dual carbs. I did get the video, but I'd like to know if I'm dealing with any potential mismatch problems. Thanks, Kevin
ray greenwood

1700 rebuild

Post by ray greenwood »

I have only seen one or two carbed type 4 vehicles on this continent. From what I know,in Europe they were common. But the only vehicles that I know of that got domed pistons were injected. They had compression of 8.2:1 and were 1.7L. I believe the carbed 1.7 had either 7.8:1 or 8.0:1. Some actually had a flat topped piston. Some of the very first FI engines on this continent also got flat tops. I have found a few. They were made in the first couple months of 71...like august or september. They may have even been 1.7 speced for Europe...and changed over to US DOT spec. (injection and charcoal canister) to fill an order. Those flat tops are a mystery to me to this day. I honestly do not know if they ever put domed pistons into a crbed vehicle in Europe. I would doubt it, because the listed compression on the engine is lower than the FI...and all else is the same. I do know that they were stock on the 411/412/914 with D-jet 1.7L. Its most probable that your engine came out of one of these cars and was swapped into your van . The case # is correct for 411/412/914 1.7 with domes and for 411/412 first few months of 74 model year 1.8L with Ljet...but that would have dished pistons. I actually can see no reason why 8.2:1 would be any real problem with carbs...especially since the gas is better now than it was in 73/74. It will have to run on premium. It helps to remember that the 1.7 was not a bus motor firstly...it started in 68 in Europe in the 411...next went into the 914...the nthe 412 and bus. Ray
kevglorde

1700 rebuild

Post by kevglorde »

Thanks for all the information. This sounds consistent. I didn't want to put anything back together that wasn't intended to go together! Now I'm just waiting for my webcam and some misc. stuff including the video(late fathers day gift). I feel a lot better knowing that I have you folks as a resource through this! Kevin