tin

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
kevglorde

tin

Post by kevglorde »

What's the deal with the tin? I know it's for cooling and all, but when i acquired a 73 westy, the PO had not put all the tin back on and didn't include it in "the big box". It's missing the rearmost piece, the two pieces that go under the cylinders, and the heater boxes. My question is, should I stop driving it until the tin is in? Thanks
germansupplyscott

tin

Post by germansupplyscott »

kevglorde

tin

Post by kevglorde »

Thanks, Scott. I did not know that. I'll try to scavenge the junkyard for these! Kevin
kevglorde

tin

Post by kevglorde »

Thanks, Derek. Huge Help here! Kevin
Derek May

tin

Post by Derek May »

After you get all the tin, make sure you also pick up the foam gasket that runs between the engine tin and body of the Van. This too is important, as it seals out the hot air from under the van and ensure your cooling air is pulled from the cool air coming in from the top of the engine.

If you don't have the heat exchangers, note that there are two styles. There is the kind that was on the '72-74 & 79 Vans, which had the exhaust manifold integrated into them, and the kind on the 75-78 Vans which had a seperate exhaust manifold that flow towards the front of the van, then has a "U" shaped pipe that brings the flow back into the heat exchangers then the flow goes through the exchangers to your muffler. Its easy to tell the two apart, the 75-78 system has a lot more plumbing, the 72-74&79 system has 4 outlets out of the heat exchangers into the exhaust, the 75-78 has two outlets.

Problem with the 75-78 system is that the manifolds and U pipes are no longer available anywhere, and they rust away at the flange. They also have 4 more seals to deal with than the other system.

If you are acquiring all the stuff you need, look at getting the 72-74/79 stuff. Note also that there are 4 pieces of sheet metal that are different (underneath and at the back), and the tubes connecting the auxiliary blower that sits above the engine are different than for the 75-78 system.

The Haynes and the Bentley manuals make the differences in the systems clear, and you can swap sytems, if you get all the bits.
www.bus-boys.com has some of the tin you would need, and also check www.bustedbus.com or www.busdepot.com if you can't find the stuff locally.