Pondering a bus beach cruiser build, comment, suggestion?

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
bscriver

Pondering a bus beach cruiser build, comment, suggestion?

Post by bscriver »

137570_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
I have a 72 bay camper bus that i traded some beer for a few years ago, it has no engine or transaxle. I was going to loot it for the suspension for another project but never got around to it. Then I saw a Bus Beach Cruiser (see pic) last year and I haven't been able to shake it and I think I m going to build one. Im guessing that its just a matter of cutting away all the sheet metal until you have your two flat decks left. Next weld on some heavy square rocker replacements, and build the tube frame up from there. Add some fenders and a roof rack and you got a beach cruiser. Great attention would be required to have the tubing recreate the strength of the bus body, I believe that is why the one in this picture appears to have the cage attached the front of the van above the windshield to recreate that support. As long as I keep the rear posts coming up from the engine deck at a similar angel as the existing sheet metal I believe the strength of the body would be recreated. If anyone has any reference material for a build like this it would be greatly appreciated. I also welcome and comments suggestions insights on a project like this as this is my first major vw project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Pondering a bus beach cruiser build, comment, suggestion

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There are a couple of buses that periodically cruise the Oregon dunes but they are not done like that nor are they that nice. I don't know much about them other than they both have a 5" front beam lift. One did have a 2.8 Ford (Cortina) 60° v-6 in it but the engine was jerked and used in some thing else. I haven't seen it or its owner for several years now. Not sure about the other one and won't be back down there for several weeks to see if it is still around.

Lee
bscriver

Re: Pondering a bus beach cruiser build, comments, suggestio

Post by bscriver »

as I keep finding other buses done up like this my question is becoming who makes these kits as they all appear to be of the same construction. Any help is appreciate
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Pondering a bus beach cruiser build, comment, suggestion

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... 61&aid=466

I did a search and found this. Not much help other than where the photo came from. Years ago I kind of got interested in something like that and I did some looking around then. I seem to remember seeing something like that before but it was a long time ago. I will try some more to see if there is anything out there.

Lee

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Cus ... dIndex=111