Hey folks

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
mojogoat

Hey folks

Post by mojogoat »

Just found the bus barn, I'm in the humboldt area. I'm working on a 1977 riviera, gutted it as I'm going to fab a new interior along with rebuilding the engine. Going for a near stock smog passing rebuild with the exception of webcam 701i hid cam and new amc heads blessed by hoffman or headmasters, haven't decided yet. I have 2 engines which I am concurrently rebuilding, hopefully I'll have a spare turnkey rebuilt engine and transmission to put in another vehicle or use as a spare. I scavenged allot of parts from a 78 westfalia I stripped. Machine shop has the cases and cranks and I have been slowly ordering parts. My current focus is rust repair and weight savings, I'm grinding and cutting the unused brackets and plates and researching light weight materials and items I will use in the interior.
mojogoat

Re: Hey folks

Post by mojogoat »

Speaking of spare engine, what years vw bus, 1975 and earlier would 2.0 mated to a 6 rib trans bolt up to without much hassle, if any?
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

I believe it will drop into a 73 through 79 bus with no major modifications though if you run FI it might require some more it can be made to fit earlier buses or bugs with upright conversions or changing the sheet metal the engine tin seals to. the 73 started with a type 1 upright engine but had special tins to make it match the the tins of a type 4 engine. 72 and earlier had different engine compartment that does not fit the type 4 engine.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Actually 72 model year + was T4 in the USA.
71 model was last of 1600 DP.

I want to say the 091 trans was 75 or 76 MY, it will swap into an earlier bus with a few tweaks, it's a touch longer in the bell housing area IIRC, rest is rubber mallet type tweaks, perhaps longer lower case studs.
(I swapped an 091 into a 72 or 73 about 20 years ago, have slept since then)

The 091 takes a different starter (more reach) than 002, same as 914, early 002 is same as T1/T3.
The 228mm flywheel setup IIRC always needs a self supporting starter to reach by the huge pressure plate, and fits in a 901 better than a 002, but it can be made to work, requires late starter and a spacer fabbed.

IIRC the later bus bell housings ~all swap, the input shafts also need swapped to match, they can be short for T1 or large offset for T4.

A T4 with 210 or 215mm clutch will bolt onto EITHER setup (T1 compatible)
T4 with a 228 will only bolt onto a large offset bell housing/input shaft combo, but CAN be made to work on a "T1" compatible setup with some effort.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mojogoat

Post by mojogoat »

Thanks looks like I'll keep an eye out for a 73-75 since they are smog exempt here in CA so far, no telling with the clowns in Sacramento these days.