Metal shavings in drive shaft hole of 1700 type IV motor

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
joeweber

Metal shavings in drive shaft hole of 1700 type IV motor

Post by joeweber »

I heard a funny sound coming from what I thought was in the transmission that had just been rebuilt last year so I took it back to the guy and while he was looking at it he noticed a groove around the output shaft and mentioned that should not be there. He is now looking into the transmission and found that the 4th gear bearing is bad. Being concerned about the groove around the shaft I looked into the hole in the motor and I could see metal shavings. I stuck a screw driver into the hole and they all magnetically stuck to the screw driver and I pullled them out. There was peaces of metal and what looked like a couple of needle bearings 9/16th long and 1/8 diameter. I was not aware that their are needle bearings that size in the bus motor. Is this from the main bearing or is this something else I need to worry about? Do I need to rebuild the motor?
sideshow

Re: Metal shavings in drive shaft hole of 1700 type IV motor

Post by sideshow »

Input shaft bearing? They all had 'em
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It's a ~$10 bearing, same one that goes in the gland nut of a T1.

Reinstall thick side out. (look at it and you'll understand)

It gets lightly greased, there is also supposed to be a felt washer that allegedly keeps the grease in, I think I saw one in a picture once.

If the input shaft is badly grooved it needs replaced as well, it is the "inner race" of that needle bearing.

The bearing should be checked/cleaned/greased and/or replaced on clutch replacement, just like the throwout bearing.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
joeweber

Post by joeweber »

I can not find it in the Haynes repair manual that I have, I see the crank and the main bearing #1, is it inside the end of the crank? How do I replace it?

The guy that is working on my transmission is repairing the shaft on the transmission.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It's in the end of the crank in most stock apps.

914 carries it in the flywheel.

I can be a challenge to get out when broken, I have resorted to CAREFULLY cleaning and masking off the seal/snout of the crank and using a dremel tool to cut it twice lengthwise and take out the bits. (try not to take anything off the crank)

The metal the bearing is made from is as hard as hell, it will not simply pry out.

It ALL has to come out.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

This thread has some advise about removing a good bearing; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129363

Yours being junk may require beating the remains into a shape that a needle nose can grab to remove. No felt seal seal is normal, unless one is experimenting with a pinto input bearing.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The felt seel is a press in ring assembly. It is required. Its function is to keep clutch dust out of the bearing.....which it does quite well and by my experience...either greatly prolongs needle bearing life or at the very least prevents damage to the end of the shaft from clutch dust in the grease from grinding grooves in the shaft end.

The felt seal presses into the flywheel. Ray
joeweber

Post by joeweber »

Thanks a bunch guys, I would have never known that there was a bearing in that hole seeing that there are no bearings left in it. I carefully drumeled it and pulled out the shell of the bearing. I will install a new one and make the motor happy again. I don't like it when it grumbles at me. :D
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

So on a long input shaft 5-bolt cranks is the thin metal gasket under the bolts the grease seal? I'm not recalling finding felt in any cores?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The felt bit goes in the flywheel.

I have seen remnants of a few, and would run them if I knew where you could actually get some.
fusername

Post by fusername »

I save em, but maybe a dizzy felt seal would interchange? I think VW ones are a bit small tho
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

You can buy a Diesel pilot bearing which comes with a rubber lip style seal. You need to drill out the backside of the flywheel for clearance though.

This one was done on a lathe, but I have done them just using a drill bit as well. Don't drill all the way through and you will not mess up your center.
fusername

Post by fusername »

forgot about those, I plan on upgrading when i run out of felts. yes I am that bad of a pack rat. I may even check mcmaster for both the felt and a needle bearing that I can drop in, probably cheaper than sourcing the diesel part, and I'm ordering from there anyways.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Slick, gonna have to try that.
You drill the FW out the same I assume?
(Most of my setups would go in the FW, so it's a win/win)
Part#?

.003" interference?
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

fusername wrote:forgot about those, I plan on upgrading when i run out of felts. yes I am that bad of a pack rat. I may even check mcmaster for both the felt and a needle bearing that I can drop in, probably cheaper than sourcing the diesel part, and I'm ordering from there anyways.
The Diesel bearing just cost a couple of bucks more than a regular one and are pretty available as there are lots of Diesels out there. VW used them on some gas engines as well, my T127 had one.