engine sounds, anyone?

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
mentalQtip

engine sounds, anyone?

Post by mentalQtip »

I have been pleased with how my '77 bus has been running lately, but just recently it has a new sound. It is noticeable when accelerating from a standstill. Its kinda a "tinkly" sound.
Someone said he thought it was from a head/cylinder leak and the heads need to be retorqued. Does this make any sense?
What does a head/cylinder leak sound like? Are there any other possible things I should check first?
My biggest concern is that the engine is being damaged.

Joseph
fmartin_gila

Re: engine sounds, anyone?

Post by fmartin_gila »

Sounds are really hard to describe. Could be "Ping". You might try to retard the dist from its present position very slightly to see if it helps as right now we are in the season of different formulations of the gas we are getting. A very slight twist will give you a couple of degrees change in advance just to see if it does make a difference. A head in need of retorque will be kind of a "Pop" while accelerating.

Fred
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Other things you can check before going to torquing the head would be to check the valve adjustment and check that all the spark plugs are properly seated and sealed.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
fusername

Post by fusername »

Try retarding the ignition like 4 degrees and see if that helps make it go away. What is your current timing? Maybe the var advance is sticking. When you are near empty on your gas tank try filling it with premium to see if this makes it go away. Premium is not a solution, but if it goes away you have pre ignition for some reason, which WILL damage your engine, so it is good to hunt down the issue quick
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
mentalQtip

Post by mentalQtip »

well, I think I might have figured out part of the problem. Somehow someone who should know better gave me the wrong sparkplugs and I think that made a big difference. Also I think that it has been running way to lean. Maybe "pinging"? Been kinda drippy and wet lately and that might have made some difference but with the right plugs and adjusting a little more rich it seems to run strong and I don't hear any strange sounds.