Air Conditioning

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
ajdenette

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by ajdenette »

Lets tryposting in the right forum :roll:

Here is a shot of the front part of that system.
stelen from this thread on TOS (great thread abut rebuilding a SVX EG33 and instilation into a vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... light=eg33

and here isanother shot of the rear piece
taken from this for sale add
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=955763

:roll: letshome this goesupinthe right place :roll: lost the last one after accidentally posting in the wbxforum :x
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

That's ironic, I just bought a transmission from that seller a few weeks ago.

I'll take a closer look at the rear unit (which is the only one I have) and see how closely it matches the pictures. Thank you for this.
jgm_72

Post by jgm_72 »

Stray Catalyst wrote:Where would you find an aftermarket compressor that would work for this? I have most of an AC system in my bus, but no compressor. I know next to nothing about AC - I've charged the AC on a few cars, and that's about it. How would I pick the right compressor, and how do I set it up? I already have the main unit, mounted inside where it can bash heads on anybody who tries to walk through the back. It has insulated hoses that can reach the engine compartment.

I don't think it's VW factory, but I haven't looked for labels on it yet, I've been working on other problems with the bus.
i have a unit that came with a '72 bus we have. it has a tag that says vw of america, made in usa. part number 2-0767A. The condensor mounts under. hoses came thru the floor at the driver side "B" pillar.
WestyPop

Post by WestyPop »

Stray Catalyst wrote:Where would you find an aftermarket compressor that would work for this? ...
Can't say for NH, but most independent vehicular A/C shops in most states have kits to mount a more efficient Sanden/Sankyo/Sanyo/etc. compressor on top of an old York or Tecumseh compressor mount. They'd also have adapters for the lines and clutches & belts. Yes, if you're going to convert to R134a refrigerant properly, you'd really need all new ("barrier") hoses for the refrigerant lines and several other new parts... Read as "expensive". NOTE: even the new vehicles slowly leak out R134a, since the truck/car manufacturers 'cheap it' on hoses & seals, knowing the problem won't likely be discovered while the vehicle is under the 'bumper-to-bumper' portion of its warranty, i.e. It's "customer pay" work, baby.

OTOH if you use a proprietary formula hydrocarbon refrigerant [HC-12a ®, DURACOOL 12a ®, OZ-12, etc.] ..., as long as there are no leaks, you can use the rest of your system, as is. They don't have to have the expensive "barrier" hoses & are compatible with either style of A/C lubricant. Quite a few HC refrigerants show up with a Google search. DOT rules say it's illegal for a commercial shop to fill your vehicle's older system with an HC refrigerant, but AFAIK You can do it without a problem. Many large stationary refrigerated facilities nationwide (worldwide?) legally use HCs as their refrigerants, and at a fraction of the costs of other fancier formulas, they're easier on compressors & more efficient at cooling, too. [Some HC facts are at http://www.es-refrigerants.com/resource ... ERANTS.pdf ]

Yes, the total of 1-4 pints of HC refrigerant in a vehicle's A/C system is flammable, but far more impressive conflagration is readily available from the is the c.16 gallons of HCs in your bus's fuel tank [note http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=113038. So, #1: Don't cheap it; do the job right. #2: carry 2 fire extinguishers!

Don't be misled... as far as safety goes, even R134a can catch fire, bad old Freon/R-12 would burn at high temps... creating Phosgene gas (see WWII for this killer!), and almost anything with the circulating mist of lube oil under pressure will readily support combustion (ever see a leaky power steering pressure hose squirt onto a hot exhaust manifold? Potentially very ugly. Yet the DOT hasn't outlawed power steering... hmmm!).

Next boondogle: Over the next few years, R134a itself is getting thrown out! Though in finished form R134a is not a major ozone layer destroyer, the DuPont process by which it's produced is! They blow that s**t right up into the atmosphere, so there's a new replacement for that, patented by (guess who), probably more to stay ahead of the knock-offs than out of any real concern for the environment. Sounds like an 20 year-old echo of the rhetoric used to get rid of Freon R-12 (for which DuPont's patents had long expired).

[Rant... Fire the chemists... all we need are slick, well-heeled lobbyists and great lie-through-their-teeth public relations firms.. oh, and a gullible, powerless target-marketed public. Cha-ching! Cha-ching!]

If you really need or want that A/C in NH (and can still use tools), don't be talked out of it. OTOH the moose seem to live well without A/C, so... ! Enjoy.

J.R.
SoCal