Air Conditioning

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
cowskey

Air Conditioning

Post by cowskey »

I have a 73 Westy and would like information on after market air conditioning systems. I was thinking of a roof mounted unit similar to the ones RV have. Any info would help.
WestyPop

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by WestyPop »

You've got a 3.500Lb bus to compare with 7,000 to 35,000Lb RVs... the percent of total vehicle weight a roof-mounted A/C would cram on most RV roofs would be miniscule, but on your Westfalia, it could really screw up the center of gravity, handling, and aerodynamics. Most of those RV A/Cs are 120 to 240Vots A.C. units, and you don't have enough battery/alternator/inverter capability to run one effectively (or maybe at all). The big RVs use plug-in power at the "campgrounds" or large generator systems to run their A/Cs. Some of the big RV gen systems weigh in at 3-4 times that of your Westfalia's engine!

OTOH... you might want to check out the A/C discussions on the baywindow bus section of the Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 Tons of info there; use the "Search" function to access all about the various VW 'dealer-installed' A/C systems and much more. From the 1960s, there were at least 4 or 5 different VW-marketed 'dealer-installed systems offered before VW itself actually built true 'factory air' systems for their buses/vans/campers/transporters, starting in mid-1983, coinciding with the Vanagons getting the "wasserboxer" engines. In addition, of course, ARA, Coolaire, and a host of other aftermarket accessory companies fabbed up kits to stuff A/C in almost anything on wheels from the 1950s through the 1980s.

The Samba baywindow section also has several threads featuring setups various members have made to use 120volt A.C. portable window A/C units when they're parked in campgrounds that do have power poles at the campsites. Most run them into side widows, although a few have set them up to blow cool air into an opening in their pop-top tents. Some interesting ideas.

Depending on where you live/cruise/camp, there are a few roof-mounted evaporative A/C (swamp cooler) systems that might work for you. However, back in the 1980s when those were more popular, I ran camping outfitter shops and heard little but complaints about the dripping, water supply problems, un-reliability, and rip-off prices of those systems. That's why I didn't sell them and didn't/won't put one in/on my Westfalias: just not worth the hassle & they really don't work except in very dry climates.

A smart engineer (not me!) could probably rig up something utilizing portions of one or more of the old 1970's VW A/C systems, plus an A.C. driven refrigerant compressor, to build a custom system that would work when parked/camped near a power source - and switchover to operate with the engine-mounted compressor while driving, but it would certainly have to be done for the pure joy of the technical challenge, or at the very least, a labor of love... definitely not a profit-maker!

While I do plan to install engine-driven A/C in my own VW campers (once I'm firm on the engines to use!), I think that a small portable window A/C for use while in 'powered campgrounds' could be practical if one sets up the installation just right and has the room to tote the darned thing all over the place while driving down the road (Guess I could build a matching trailer!).

Good luck finding the right solution(s) for your needs.

J.R.
SoCal
Last edited by WestyPop on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fusername

Post by fusername »

original ACs suck a lot of power, meaning they tax the engine and make it run hot on hot days. an original system w/ an aftermarket compressor will be much much more efficient.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

There was a dealer-option A/C for '73s (and many other years.) My '73 has it and so did my '79. It has an engine mounted compressor, a big condensor under the floor and a nice factory looking unit under that dash with vents and controls. I saw one just like mine at a VW swap meet last weekend (cheap). They are out there, salvage yards, VW swapmeets, online (Dramba) etc. Btw, as for roof mounted air? That's a big NO on an old VW.
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

Where would you find an aftermarket compressor that would work for this? I have most of an AC system in my bus, but no compressor. I know next to nothing about AC - I've charged the AC on a few cars, and that's about it. How would I pick the right compressor, and how do I set it up? I already have the main unit, mounted inside where it can bash heads on anybody who tries to walk through the back. It has insulated hoses that can reach the engine compartment.

I don't think it's VW factory, but I haven't looked for labels on it yet, I've been working on other problems with the bus.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

thats probably a freon setup. to make it a 134a system you would need a 134a compressor (sanden sd 508 or 709 would work), barrier brand hose, bigger condenser. You probably got flare fittings and i'm not sure if they will seal properly with the higher pressures from the 134a, but here is some adapters http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/fla ... ers-81.php. there are universal evaporators with oring fittings, you could find one that would fit in your unit. your basically replacing everything you have. it might be cheaper to piece together everything including a universal underdash unit.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

Ah well, I was hoping not to get that answer. :) I guess I'll sell off the AC to somebody with deeper pockets than me and use the money for other parts. Thank you.

Stray
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

That unit loks a lot like the eirly vanagon dealer air system, if your looking for parts orany informationon whatyou have or looking on where to make money off of it.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Marc

Post by Marc »

WestyPop wrote:...The Samba baywindow section also has several threads featuring setups various members have made to use 120volt A.C. portable window A/C units when they're parked in campgrounds that do have power poles at the campsites...

5000 BTU window A/C unit $80 - $130
2000W portable generator $800 (Honda); $300 (Harbor Freight)
Guffaws over your "redneck A/C" ...priceless

A small 120V window A/C unit takes maybe 400-500 watts to run, but the starting surge is almost 4 times that so a larger generator would be needed. To get the same wattage at 12V it'd take 10 times the current. ~40A running, 150A to start...and 12V-to-120V inverters aren't 100% efficient, so it'd take a serious/expensive (~$500) inverter and 50/200+ DC amps. Two healthy batteries plus the full output of your alternator probably wouldn't be enough to kick off even a small electric A/C unit, so electric A/C demands a generator or "shore power" at the RV park.
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

ajdenette wrote:That unit loks a lot like the eirly vanagon dealer air system, if your looking for parts orany informationon whatyou have or looking on where to make money off of it.

I'll get the numbers off of it and do some research on it. Thanks for the lead, that will give me a place to start.

Stray
fusername

Post by fusername »

yeah, really looks like vanagon to me too.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

Any idea what year? Most of what I'm finding has no resemblance to this, but it's mostly late model stuff anyway.

(and/or, anybody want to offer me something for it? Running engine, split bus parts, etc)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

That unit was used on vans up to and including 85 I don't know if it was on any of the air cooled Vanagon's but was on the vans in the us with 1.9's so from 83.5 to 85 small year range and an American company made them if I remember correctly and the units were installed at the dealer. The unit was located behind the drivers head and there was a small piece that went the the front to another section that crossed the windshield.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

^ I agree with adjenette. Its nearly identical to the one in my old '79. It was a dealer installed option on mine I believe, because it was listed not on the M Plate decode.
fusername

Post by fusername »

correction I only meant the rear section looks exactly like what I remember the later style vanagon looking like, the front section is not familiar to me at all, AJ can you help?