solex 35mm pdsit's accelerator pump issues. No search info

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
quartermilecamel

solex 35mm pdsit's accelerator pump issues. No search info

Post by quartermilecamel »

Hi, Working on a 1600dp engine with svda distributor in a 64 bus. Issue is accelerating when gas pedal is lightly pressed from throttle closed position, engine power drops out like ignition was shut off only its the fuel system causing this. Further depressing of gas pedal past this bog spot and the engine takes off. Accelerator pump right? Well, what would cause a no squirt on one of the carbs when throttle is opened slowly? If I pump the throttle several times, I then can see a squirt as soon as I start opening throttle. Things tried. (these carbs are new) Making sure pump cover surface is flat. Checked for leaking pump cover. Blew out passages with air hose. I still cannot find a parts breakdown or illustration of these carbs. Right carb doesnt seem to do this at all. If the fuel level in the float bowl is too low would that cause the partial no squirt? If I feather the gas then accelerate, its fine. Its like I have to pump up the accelerator pump several times then Im good to go....until I let off the gas after cruising a while and get on the gas lightly again. What would cause a pump to bleed off? I thought I had this fixed by swapping in another diaphram but not so, after driving it a while.....same thing, ran a little better but still same bog. That diaphram could be bad too. Already posted a bunch on the samba. Thought Id see if anybody over here has some experience with these carbs.
Last edited by quartermilecamel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david58

Re: solex 35mm pdsit's accelerator pump issues. No search info

Post by david58 »

I am not sure if this is the right diagram. :roll: I hope it is...............
http://www.german-pride.com/Joomla/imag ... %20iso.pdf
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
quartermilecamel

Well I can tell thats a solex but my choke cover is faced downward. Looks similiar but a lot of different stuff than mine.
david58

Post by david58 »

There doesn't seem to be much info on this carb out there.................I am interested in it also I believe my Baja has a set of them on it. I found this diagram.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
quartermilecamel

reason I ask for a parts breakdown is Im wondering if its possable to accidentially dump out a check ball by removing the carb top. I would think I wouldnt have a good squirt at all, but just hunting for ideas.
quartermilecamel

curious, what type of solex that last diagram is for. Looks close. Although mine doesnt have a vacuum pistion
david58

Post by david58 »

Here is the link where I found it.
Click Here
quartermilecamel

Float level adjustment and spec would be great but if it isnt out there....(yes Ive been searching for who knows how long for this spec.) Wondering if theres a way or method used to discover the setting manually. I have washers of various thicknesses to stick under the needle.
amskeptic

Post by amskeptic »

quartermilecamel wrote:Float level adjustment and spec would be great but if it isnt out there....(yes Ive been searching for who knows how long for this spec.) Wondering if theres a way or method used to discover the setting manually. I have washers of various thicknesses to stick under the needle.
Float level is 13mm from carb body.

Accelerator pump issue sounds like one of your check balls is not functioning correctly, the "intake" side. A good blast of GumOut carb spray in the in and out ports of the accelerator pump of a disassembled carb followed by vigorous shaking should reward you with the rattling of the check balls.
Colin
quartermilecamel

Re: solex 35mm pdsit's accelerator pump issues. No search

How or where did you find that spec? When I set the carbs to that spec it runs sooo fat and lathargic. 55 idles and 150 mains 1600dp. mains too big?
david58

Post by david58 »

quartermilecamel

wow it looks real close. Mine has electric chokes. So, if it doesnt run good at 13mm, then what next? Smaller jets all around?
david58

Post by david58 »

quartermilecamel wrote:wow it looks real close. Mine has electric chokes. So, if it doesnt run good at 13mm, then what next? Smaller jets all around?
First you need to make sure that the timing is on spot and the dwell if you have points. Then check for intake leaks. If you skip these steps or don't get them right changing jets won't help.
quartermilecamel

svda dizzy is brand new from aircooled.net Just dropped in a pertronix and set to 30 degrees @3500 rpm. No intake leaks.