'79 Bay Project

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
Sneaks

Re: '79 Bay Project

Post by Sneaks »

Thanks for giving me clarity, I was blinded by the non-broken slider handle that I missed completely the upsidedown tire carrier...and where is the white roof?
Danny, plastic pistons don't work, you should just send all those useless parts right up to me so I can dispose of them properly for you...

:)

I know where to find you one, fuser, as soon as you are ready...or should i say DEB knows cuz she's the sleuth

I think I need to get another one so I can keep up!
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

Hey, easy now Fuser. I'm still in the room ! :lol: (BTW, it has "TOP" stamped into the top of the carrier. )
Last edited by DannyK on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

Today I got both Bays titled and registered in my name. That's a relief because I only got a bill of sale for the '73, the old title was lost. I had a fear of putting time and money into it and then not being able to title it. Yay ! Tomorrow morning, Doc and I are towing the '73 Tin-top home on his flatbed. Cool ! 8)
DannyK

Re: '79 Bay Project /'73 Campmobile

Post by DannyK »

Here's the new '73. Much nicer than the '79, so I'm going to shift my focus to this one for now and save the '79 for later. The Orange '73 is all original paint, interior etc. It only has very minor rust spots and a few easy to fix dents. the underside is cherry, still coated in the original rust proofing wax and totally solid ! Its an automatic with A/C and still has the original Blaupaunk am/fm stereo in an uncut dash.It even had the little Westfalia stool inside. I might put the '79's 2 liter in this one for now until I build the new motor. Guess I'll have to start a new thread; or re-title this one. :D ImageImage[img]
Last edited by DannyK on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Nice score! You got the stool too? The only issue I see with doing the motor swap is the FI stuff moving over. Shouldn't be hugely complicated but since the 73 is a dual carb motor, you'll need to make some changes to accommodate the ECU and other stuff. what's the deal with the motor in the 73?
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

Good point Sneaks. Hadn't notice the lack of a F.I. box on the '73 yet. Just got her home yesterday and spent hours just cleaning inside and out. It cleaned up well and was very solid everywhere ! The P.O. gave away the original 1700 and it came with the parts I mentioned to build a 2 liter including a new/in box Weber 2 barrell with intake and gaskets. Seems to be everything but flywheel, connecting rods and oil pump there. Maybe I should leave the '79 alone and just go ahead and build the new motor. Doc offered to help. He's much better with motors than I am. I'm assuming an automatic trans flywheel is different than a 4sp. Where can I find one ?
fusername

Post by fusername »

most folks call em flexplates, they aren't the easiset thign to find a good one of, for some reason they tend to have damage where the flywheel seal rides, little grooves. I gave away my last one, so I would check TOS. I think some ppl call em automatick drive plates or something weird. also make sure they didn't get tweaked when someone removed the torque converter, sometimes they get 2 of the 3 bolts off then let it fall and twist the plate, ALSO make sure you get the bolts with it, they are abizzare size, hardened, special head, etc. really hard ot find replacements for I am told. I may have 1 more torque converter for these things, but I am pretty sure I threw out all the TC I had left, no one wanted them.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

fusername wrote:... but I am pretty sure I threw out all the TC I had left, no one wanted them.
You need to stop doing stuff like that...
fusername

Post by fusername »

i know right, want some more accordian tubes, oh wait I threw em out, along wit, ah, ok maybe thats like the only two thigns I have thrown out in the last 4 years. I still have the beam that rotted out on my bay behind my grandmothers garage hiding under a recycling bin. but not all of us have the space you do big guy, can't keep everything. speaking of which, if you bring it down to tfest I'll grab the FI bucket off your hands. Just bolted the CVs back onto my bus so it should be road worthy, might as well find another way to sabotage my ability to move.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

Got one ! The flexplate was in the pile of parts ! D'oh ! And the torque converters here too. I just ordered a few trim pieces for the interior from Cip1- missing knobs and handles plus a front VW emblem, cuz I don't like having a spare on the front. There's a motorcycle rally nearby this weekend, so I'm putting a new stainless steel expansion chamber exhaust on my bike today and going to that. Next week, I'm back on the bus. 8)
Last edited by DannyK on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
fusername

Post by fusername »

word of warning. assuming bay auto trans are like vanagon auto trans, DO NOT PULL TEH ENGINE TO THE TRANS WITH THE BOLTS! if you cna't slip it in by hand, the drive shaft for the trans oil pump probably fell off the splines. I highly reccomend you put the torque converter into the trans first, bolt the engine up, then bolt the TC to the flex plate as VW reccomends. If the shaft slips out and it gets forced together, you ruin the 600$ oil pump at the back of the trans. n ot fun. apologies if you already know this, but I would hate to see you cost yoruself money for no good reason.

ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

i have also heard of people loosing the pumpdrivepiece in transit with no engine installed i would look for that now!
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

The white '79 is on the backburner while I focus on the orange '73 Campmobile. I'll just start a seperate thread for the orange bus and post any white bus progress here.
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

The white '79 RUNS and even DRIVES ! Its the first time she has moved under her own power in TEN years, so I'm pretty jazzed. :D Even though she's on the back burner while I work on other projects, I thought it'd be nice if I could move it around under power instead of pushing her, so...... I finally installed the new alternator, harness, voltage regulator and fuel pump. I then re-flushed the fuel tank, lines and fuel injector rails. The rails still had ten year old milky white "gas" in them and she coughed to life before smoothing out to a nice idle. Finally ! I drove her around my neighborhood a bit and all the gears work, she handles fine (considering the crappy old tires) and the brakes work well. I was surprised at how much pep she has ! Too cool ! I added Sta-bil fuel stabilizer and a battery disconnect. I then parked the poor girl out of the way, where she'll be sitting awhile other than occassional jaunts just to keep things lubed and charged.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Nice! Feels good, don't it? You know, if you get that SC, you probably should play it safe with the neighbors and let me keep an eye on it for you.