'78 transporter-blinkers&flashers wont work

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
meanmontess

'78 transporter-blinkers&flashers wont work

Post by meanmontess »

I haven't done any troubleshooting but I plan to today after work. When I turn the signals on either direction, the indicator light in the speedo lights up but doesn't flash and no lights come on outside. Same with the hazards-light come on on the knob but the lights outside don't come on. Hoping it's an easy fix-everything else works perfectly. Haven't checked any bulbs, flasher, etc
Marc

Re: '78 transporter-blinkers&flashers wont work

Post by Marc »

There are two sources of power for the flasher. One comes from the ignition switch for t'signals (hazard switch knob IN) and the other from constant power for the 4-ways (hazard switch knob OUT). It's possible that both fuses have simultaneously given up for no reason, but unlikely.
If both fuses are blown, prime suspect is the hazard switch - they come apart internally and short out (especially when the knob is used for a litterbag hanger).
If the fuses are OK, there may still be a problem with the hazard switch but it's more likely that the flasher has died.
Bypass the flasher (disconnect the +/49 and 49a wires from it and connect them to each other) and see if all the external lights work as they should - obviously they won't be flashing, but look for dim/dead ones. If all the external lights and the t'signal switch and hazard switch are functioning, it's time to buy a flasher. You don't have to get a VW-specific one, an Amerikinski 2-pin flasher will work...connect the + wire to the terminal marked X and the 49a and Kbl (for the indicator lamp) wires to the terminal marked L. The ground (31) wire isn't needed.
meanmontess

Post by meanmontess »

Thanks, Marc! Can't wait to get home and try it.
meanmontess

Post by meanmontess »

ended up being the hazard swith-it had come apart as you stated. Thanks for you help!