Help urgently needed industrial engine PDSIT set up

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
jossjopplin

Help urgently needed industrial engine PDSIT set up

Post by jossjopplin »

Help desperately needed I have an industrial engine that I bought from vw heritage its now in my bus and running but the carb settings are a mile off its idling very high and running ridiculously rich heratige were useless they only seem interested in taking your money I was told by there engine expert “I don’t know anything about them just work it out” so if anybody has any information on the 36 40 PDSIT carbs I would be very very grateful :(
wildthings

Re: Help urgently needed industrial engine PDSIT set up

Post by wildthings »

These carbs must be better than 35 years old at this point. I would suggest kitting them.
jossjopplin

Post by jossjopplin »

Nope brand new as been in storage for that long ie vacuum packed for the Italian military
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

They are still over 35 years old. Nothing last forever even wrapped in plastic. I would suggest changing every hose on the engine and kitting the carbs.
smyrnaguy

Post by smyrnaguy »

Look for an air leak in the intake manifold. Sounds like you have a vacuum loss.
jossjopplin

Post by jossjopplin »

Cheers will try your suggestions
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

I believe industrial engines are meant to idle high and run at constant speeds, not rev up and down as in a car. Your distributor may need to be changed for one that advances as revs change also.
Last edited by DannyK on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

likewise I'd suspect the cam is less than optimal for a vehicle.
David, Lule

Post by David, Lule »

Hi, I have the 36-40 PDSIT carburators runninng on my type 4 engine in a type 3 fasty. They were standard in the 412LS -74 and are much better than the bus carb with the idle system on one of the carbs.

The carbs should be adjusted in the same way the beetle 34 pdsit with an aux-air screw.

Do not adjust the idle on the throttle stop screws. Adjust them only to touch the stop, equal on both carbs. Set the low speed adjustments on 2,5 turns. Synchronise them and adjust idle with the big aux-air adjustment screws on the side of the carburators. Then adjust the low speed screws on each carburator at the time. Close them until the engine starts to choke. then turn out ½ of a turn.
Finally adjust the idle on the aux air screws.

Good luck. :)

btw. What engine code letters does your engine have? I belive the 85 hp 1,8L engine from 412 LS is the same as the industrial engines. The code on mine is AN