difficult shifter

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
71woofybus

difficult shifter

Post by 71woofybus »

hi all,
problem is my shifter has become quite hard to shift, difficult to find the proper position for each gear and makes creaky sounds like an old person (hahaha...it is old, right?)...just not working smoothly. i have put oil down into the shifter (lifting the boot inside the cab on the floor) to no avail. do you guys know of anything that may help resolve this prob or what may be causing it? thanks a million and have a great day!
david58

Re: difficult shifter

Post by david58 »

71woofybus wrote:hi all,
problem is my shifter has become quite hard to shift, difficult to find the proper position for each gear and makes creaky sounds like an old person (hahaha...it is old, right?)...just not working smoothly. i have put oil down into the shifter (lifting the boot inside the cab on the floor) to no avail. do you guys know of anything that may help resolve this prob or what may be causing it? thanks a million and have a great day!
Welcome to the STF 71woofybus. I don't know much about the shift rod on a bus, but it probably has a bushing in it similar to a Type 1, and a coupler. You need to replace the bushing grease the shift rod and inspect the coupler, replace as necessary.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
busman78

Post by busman78 »

There is a forward shift bushing, two bushing on the rod that passes through the shift rod tube and a coupler where the rod attaches to the transmision. Attached is a link to Bus Boys site, scroll down on the left side about 3/4 way down to the Shifter and Shift Linkage - Type 2 68-79 to see a diagram and the parts required. My first guess would be part "E" the front bushing and you may also need part "P" shift rod coupler.
http://www.bus-boys.com/
71woofybus

Post by 71woofybus »

thanks guys...really appreciate it. i'll check out the website and see if we can get it fixed. take care and happy new year!