Resurrecting the 1985 Westy

The quintessential people and stuff mover.

Moderator: doc

ajdenette

Re: Resurrecting the 1985 Westy

Post by ajdenette » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:21 pm

I was planning on using a standard coolant manifold and running the small car pipe around the back of the engine compartment and had things roughly installed but it wouldn't fit right and decided it was not the fit I was looking for and decided I needed a reversed coolant manifold.

here is just a quick shot of the coolant hose coming off of the thermostat housing headed up to the transverse pipe and up to the coolant bubble

I decided on the Small car reversed manifold which came with the replacement head pipe that gives a feedback to the thermostat on the factory pipe to make sure it does not over heat and it takes the stock 1.9/ Syncro temperature sensor for the gauge.

Next I finished installing the intake manifold for the last time

Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)

ajdenette

Re: Resurrecting the 1985 Westy

Post by ajdenette » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 pm

I started by cutting the pipes square a little further forward

I purchased a set of Go Westy coolant pipe repair kit to try and add the flared ends back to the pipe and to give some rigidity back to the pipes but again after trying to figure out installing them on the cut off ends and didn't like they way it was fitting. I decided to use my heat gun to cut the factory ends out of the pipes to install in the cut ends.

I used the hammer and heat gun to install the ends in the cut down pipes. I used the heat gun to soften the pipes to to allow the steel ends to go into the plastic pipes

After they were both installed I cross drilled them and put 2 rivets in each pipe to help hold the metal inserts in place and help prevent the hoses from slipping off

and then I installed the hoses after flushing out the pipes

I have most of the hoses installed just the supply from the drivers side to the feed to the rear heater core and the front heater core and then the cooling system in the engine compartment will be finished.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)